1

"All rise! The Superior Court of the state of North Carolina is now in session, the Honorable Judge Veronica Hawkins presiding." The bailiff boomed. Laurent was in his best dressed; a black suit that made his 6'4" stature seem a half-foot taller. The wine red tie matched the handkerchief peaking out of his outer-left breast pocket, giving a nice contrast against the white dress shirt under his suit jacket.

Larry stood in the defendant's booth, holding the hand of his wife Emelyn. Laurent looked back at the two of them and saw that his sister in-law had been crying. Her tear stained cheeks had her mascara and foundation imitating a melting ice cream cake left out of the freezer for too long. Her head rested on the upper part of Larry's arm, with a look of worry in her eyes. His eyes shifted to his twin. He didn't see sadness from Larry; it was more-so a look of worry... and guilt. He looked at the other faces standing in support of him. Other than a few of their close friends and one of their cousins whom had flew out from Paris to be there for him, the rest of the faces were nameless. He was grateful that he had so much support though. He knew many of them were fans by looking at the 'Les Twins' shirts they wore. Even with a handful of people being there that he knew and a bunch of fans, he couldn't help this feeling of emptiness creeping up on him and he didn't know why.

He looked over at the prosecutor's side and saw each person standing in front of every available seat, waiting for the judge to be seated. There were also people standing to the side and behind the booths, not minding how tiresome their legs may get from the hours that they'd possibly be in there for. In his mind, they were all staring at him; stabbing him with daggers of anger in their eyes, wanting him to be executed right then and there. He didn't know how to feel. 

Everything had happened so fast. 

Everything was happening fast. 

Too fast for him to process all that had occurred. He turned back around, looking down at his fingertips that lay lazily on the desk in front of him.

The Judge finally took her place, signaling the bailiff that she was ready to proceed, "Please be seated. Court is now in session. Please turn off all mobile devices and refrain from speaking out during the proceedings." The sounds of shuffling, throat clearing, coughing and murmurs were heard in the once silenced courtroom. The judge thanked her bailiff and organized the papers that sat in front of her.

We are here this morning in the case of North Carloina vs Laurent Bourgeois defendant, case number 48F729. The record will reflect the presence of the State of North Carolina by Sharron Wilbur, prosecuting attorney and the presence of defendant Laurent N. Bourgeois in person and by counsel Veronica Hawkins. Are both parties ready to proceed?"

Both sides confirmed that they were ready to begin the hearing.