Hear me, Yato

Bzz bzz

Bzz bzz

Bzz bzz

You groaned and slowly rolled over in bed, squinting your eyes to look at your phone. You sat up in an instant when you saw Yato was requesting a FaceTime.

I cant let him see me like this! I just woke up! But I really want to pick up his call..... No, I cant let him see all this. I'll play it off like I slept through it and call him back later.

You put your phone back on your bed and slowly stood up on the cold floor. You rubbed your eyes and walked over to your closet and began the tedious mission of getting ready in the morning.

By the time you finished and slipped your shoes on, an hour had passed since Yato's call. You hesitantly called his number and held your phone to your ear. His usual, peppy voice sounded after a few moments. "Hey [Y/N]! I called you earlier but you didn't pick up. You were probably asleep or somethin'... Anywho! We'll be there soon! Okay [Y/N]?". "Yeah, I'm all ready". "Good! See you soon [Y/N]-chan~". Yukine's voice popped up in the background, "See ya, [Y/N]!". "See ya!", you hung up and slid your phone into your pocket with a small smile. You grabbed a small backpack with miscellaneous items to bring on your outing and slipped your arms in the straps. You clutched your keys, locked the front door, and waited on your porch for them to arrive.

...

A little while later, the group appeared down the street, a few arms waving in the air. "[Y/N]-chan~!!". You instantly recognized his voice. A wide grin tugged at your lips as you stepped down the front steps and walked toward them. "Hey everyone!", you waved. The trio picked up the pace and within a few moments, you were face to face with an unfamiliar girl. She held out her hand, "Iki Hiyori! Nice to meet you!".

Her smile was wide enough to lift her cheeks and close her vibrant eyes. Long locks of brown hair framed her face with wispy bangs falling just above her eyes. The bow tie and blazer she wore indicated she had just come from classes.

You forced your smile to stay on your face, "[Y/N] [L/N]".

Yato hopped between the girls and wrapped an arm around yours and Hiyori's shoulders. "Now that introductions are over, let's gooo!". He attempted to walk forward, his leg suspended in the air as you and Hiyori stood still. "But where are we going?" Hiyori asked. You noticed a glint in Yato's eye. "I know exactly where we're going".

"We're not going to CapybaLand!"

"Why not??!!"

"Because no one wants to see middle aged men in oversized hamster suits!!"

Yato growled and folded his arms across his chest, stomping his foot on the ground. "Then where do you suggest we go?".

...

"Wow...".

Yukine pressed his face against the display case, fogging up the glass. You came up behind him and peeked over his shoulder. A skateboard? They're obviously broke, but I can't afford to keep buying them stuff. But I earn their affection when I buy them things...

"Do you want it, Yuki?"

His face lit up as he looked up at you, "Yeah! I did try to steal it one time, but I'm not like that anymore". You smile and opened your bag, handing him a few yen bills. "Here, go buy it". Yukine had a massive grin as he leaped up and hugged your tight. "You're the best, [Y/N]-chan!". He quickly released you and skipped to the counter. A strange voice spoke in the back of your mind.

They only love you for your money.

You looked down at your feet and blinked in confusion. Huh?

They only love you for your money.

No, they're not like that.

They're pretending to be your friend so they don't feel guilty for spending your money.
They're using you.
They only love you for your money.

They only love me for my money... that's why they took me to the mall with them... to buy whatever they want.... They're introducing their friends to me so I'll buy them stuff too... They're using me.

You slowly lifted your head as tears pricked the corners of your eyes. You quickly tried blinking them away, it's too embarrassing to cry in public. A small tone rang at the doorway as Yato returned with Hiyori. Yato's eyes widened when he looked in your direction, a small phantom was growing larger over your shoulder. I can't use Sekki now, especially since it's so close to her. He would have to eliminate the demon with his words.

"Hey [Y/N]-chan~!", Yato left Hiyori's side and shuffled over to yours.

He wanted to get closer, but he couldn't risk the phantom attacking him unguarded.

He's using you for money, he's taking advantage of you. Don't let him fool you.

Yato heard the phantom's many voices, heartbroken. Why would she believe that? Yukine came over to them, a skateboard tightly in his gasp. "Yato! Look what [Y/N]-!", his eyes widened as well, stepping away from the demon over taking you.

"Y-Yato...".

They love you for your money. Your money.

Yato glared at Yukine, "You made her buy another thing for you?! You have legs and feet that work, you don't need a skateboard! You have to earn the things anyone buys you!". Yukine partially hid his face behind his board, his eyes still wide. "S-She offered to buy it for me! I didn't ask!". Yato pointed towards the desk, "Go return it and give her her money back".

He's saying that so he won't feel guilty. They can't undo what they've stole from you. They have only known you for one day and they're taking advantage of you.

"B-But I didn't ask for it! She asked me if I wanted it so I said yes!"

"Yukine!"

"Okay! Okay!"

Yuki reluctantly walked back to the counter and returned the skateboard. He held the money in his hand and held it out to you, careful not to touch the phantom. "Sorry [Y/N]...". You looked over at him, your eyes dull and lifeless, tears tracing your waterline. "I said you can buy it, Yukine..". Yato snatched the money from Yuki and tucked it in your pocket, "That's your money [Y/N], you've already spent enough on us".

Can you hear my thoughts?

"It's okay... I'm glad to make a friend happy"

Do you love me for more than my money?

"Friends don't use each other for money".

Can you hear those voices?

"We didn't come here to shop, [Y/N]", Yato pressed cheek against yours, "We came here for the fro-yo".

You can hear me, Yato.