thirty-two

it was a grey twilight when they left the building, but by the time they reached what trixie referred to as the destination, it was a velvety black night. katya was about to take out their phone to use as a torch, but trixie stopped her.

"you are going to want to keep your eyes adapted to the dark." she said, and katya shrugged.

the two lay down on the blanket that trixie had brought, and looked up at the sky. katya checked her watch and laughed under her breath.

"what?" trixie asked, and katya simply looked upwards.

trixie followed her gaze and gasped, following the shooting star as it sped towards the earth and vanished. then another one shot across the sky, plummeting down once more. and another. the sky was filled with beautiful falling stars, overlapping each other and lighting up the sky with momentary bursts of brightness.

trixie let out a long, slow breath and shuffled closer to katya, putting her head on her shoulder and keeping her eyes trained on the sky above.

"i love you," katya mumbled, and trixie snuggled closer into her.

"i love you too." trixie replied and could feel a hand search for hers.

they stayed there for hours, watching the meteors streak across the sky and holding hands.