Home Sweet Home - 6

Still wobbly, Beth stepped carefully off  the landing and onto the top stair leading down. David's German Shepherd all but ran up the stairs and gently placed his jaws around her left wrist, while she held onto the rail with the other. She looked at him as if he had three heads. "Rudy...You big moose! Honestly! Lemme go!"

Alison heard her sister's voice at the top of the stairs and quickly got up from the table, skirted passed James and Sebastian. She halted at the bottom of stairs and looked up with concern on her face and turned on the light at the top of the stairs. "Hey girlie..."

Beth's face lit up. "HEY SISSY! Welcome home!"

Alison smiled, meeting her halfway up the stairs. "Rudy, release please?"

The dog raised his brow and then rolled his eyes. The he huffed through his nose and released Beth.

"Oh my god, did he just huff at you?"

Alison laughed, "I believe he did!"

"What a weird dog..." Beth embraced her sister. "I'm glad you're home! Your kitties missed you. I think the dogs did too...well at least yours did at any rate."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, Izaboo And Frisky pulled out some laundry from the hamper and then Izzy and Paddy had a tug of war with your under-roos..."

Alison closed her eyes and sighed as she shook her head. "Oh no. So, who won?"

"Well Frisky did of course! You really think that ornery cat would let your dog have it? Or Izaboo? No way!"

Alison chuckled. "No, I don't expect that she would."

"So Paddy's basically been pouting since you left. Think the coffee's done?"

Alison nodded. "Yeah...Sebastian's looking forward to seeing you again...oh! And James," she said, ending in a whisper.

Beth smiled tenderly. "He's got your eyes," Beth said. "I can't believe they did that to y'all...well, I'm glad at least that Bast got him..."

Alison smiled sadly and nodded.

Beth stopped her from continuing toward the kitchen. "Hey, what's wrong? I'd be flying higher than a kite if I got my son and his father back..."

Alison smiled and nodded her head. "I am...I really am..."

"But...?"

"Well, let's just say that it's been an eventful ten days...come on, let's get some coffee and breakfast...you'll be wanting to sit down for what I have to tell you."

"Ten days..." Beth's face registered disbelief. "What is it the Brits say? You're nutters mate..."

"Some days, I wonder..." Alison replied under her breath. "Hey, what have you been doing here all by yourself...noshing on junk food? You look like you gained a little bit of weight..."

Beth froze momentarily as she poured the coffee.

——-

Fifteen minutes later, after her sister recounted the events she experienced, Beth sat at the kitchen table nearly catatonic, if not for the seemingly never-ending tears streaking her face.

"We're going to bury him today," Alison said, then she looked toward Sebastian. "I'm sorry, I didn't even ask if y'all would help me..."

Both Matus men each took one of her hands in theirs, but it was Sebastian who spoke up, "it's not even an issue, Love."

"I'm not really ready to go back out there, but I need to see Rajah..."

"I'll go with you," Beth stated bravely.