Intro

"You like my mirror, child?"

Sue smiled at Tara's eccentric maiden aunt. "It is unusual," she agreed, looking once more at the numerous gilded cherubs that gaudily crowded around the antique glass, smoky with age.

"It's been in my family for generations. Since the Middle Ages in fact. My many times great grandfather had it made for his daughters for Valentine's Day."

"They celebrated Valentine's Day that long ago?" Lucy asked in amazement.

"Oh my yes. In the Middle Ages St. Valentine was a most popular saint and they had many interesting customs surrounding the day. They took it very seriously – not like the frivolity you see today." Miss Williams wrinkled her nose in distaste and the three women visiting her shared amused glances.

"What kind of customs, Auntie Gertie?" Tara asked encouragingly. She loved her father's great aunt with all her heart and was very pleased to be able to show her off to her two friends. They had spent an enjoyable evening this St. Valentine's Eve sharing good food, stories and laughter. Tara had never seen her aunt so animated. The extra company had done her good and she was glad she had followed her impulse and invited Lucy and Sue along on the visit.

"Well, let me think now. Ah, here's one that many young women would do well to implement nowadays. It would simplify the whole courtship procedure immeasurably. Not that there is much of a courtship nowadays, the way girls flit about from man to man and vice versa," Aunt Gertie muttered under her breath. "Well, now, seeing as you young ladies have yet to find your knight in shining armor, you might like to give this a try. Tara dear, bring me a bowl from the kitchen. Any one will do – a clean one, mind." As Tara hastened to do her bidding Aunt Gertie turned to Lucy and Sue. "While she's gone I want you to write out the name of every eligible young man you know." She reached for a writing tablet and began expertly tearing hearts out of the paper. "One name to a heart. Then fold them up and put them in the bowl. Here's Tara now."

Obediently the three women bent over their task and thoughtfully scribbled down names.

"No jokesters now, mind. You could saddle your friend with a n'er do well for life," Aunt Gertie warned. Tara promptly crumpled up three of the names she had written. "Now, toss them all into the bowl and swirl them around. That's right. Tara, you pick first. Then Lucy. Then Sue."

Each woman selected a heart and took a quick peek.

Tara flushed with excitement. "Now what, Auntie?"

"Now, you sleep with that scrap of paper under your pillow tonight and on the morrow, St. Valentine's Day, if you're brave enough, you pin that name on your sleeve and where it there for a week. Then see what happens."

"Is that where the saying, wearing your heart on your sleeve comes from?" Lucy asked, her eyes alight with excitement.

Auntie Gertie nodded her head, but something outside the living room window caught her eye. "Can you hear that?" she fretted. "Ice on the roof. It's freezing rain again. You girls can't possibly travel home in this weather there's nothing for it but for you to spend the night." The old lady seemed unaccountably delighted at the prospect of extended visitors. Seeing the protests beginning to form on more than one pretty face she thumped her cane imperiously. "I won't hear a single excuse. I have plenty of room and will enjoy seeing your fresh faces over breakfast tomorrow morning. Tara, you take Lucy and Sue upstairs and let them each pick a room and chose some nightclothes for them from the hall closet. When you've changed come back down here and I'll tell you all a bedtime story."