09

They got Phantom out on the water and tied to the dock waiting for Kiara, Pope, John B and Sarah. While waiting, Vicky grabbed the First Aid Kit and set it down on the seat.

They haven't spoken to each other since what happened barely an hour ago.

"Baby,"JJ called out.

She pulled out a towel and wet it to wipe the blood off of JJ's face. He carefully reached for her hand and turned her around, setting the towel aside. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and let her lean her head against his chest.

Tears streamed down her face.

"I'm so sorry, baby,"he whispered.

"I was trying to fight back but he wouldn't stay down."

She sobbed.

"Vee."

She gazed up at him.

JJ hated himself. He was supposed to protect her and she trusted him to do so.

She wiped her face and inhaled a deep breath.

She wasn't raised weak.

Vicky grabbed the towel behind her and wiped the blood dried on his forehead. She wiped his nose and turned around, searching for the rubbing alcohol and the gauze pad.

In silence, she tended to him and he was more afraid of her quietness than her words.

"I got it,"JJ said and grabbed the gauze pad and rubbing alcohol from her hand.

She let him take it from her and walked away, standing out on the dock and faced the waters.

"You guys look like shit,"Kiara said as she neared JJ and Vicky not long after.

Kiara set the box of food ration down inside the boat and Pope went ahead to fill the tank.

"We bumped into Barry and Rafe,"JJ said and folded his arms, watching their friends.

Vicky sat on a broken log nearby.

Their heads turned at the sound of the siren.

"Shit. Vee, get back on the boat,"JJ said.

He moved to untie the rope until he saw John climb out of the car.

Vicky ran and hugged him.

"Where's Sarah?"she frowned.

"What? We got split up at the swamp, she was supposed to meet me here,"he glanced around.

"We haven't seen her,"Kiara shrugged.

"I'm not leaving without her,"John said.

Vicky slapped him and cupped his face in her hands.

"She will be fine. You have to leave while they're still busy, okay? You have to lay low then get to Brownsville,"she instructed.

John gazed her with so much confusion and sadness as her eyes teared up.

"Do you understand me, John?"she questioned.