11

"Vicky?"

She groaned awake and pulled the blanket over her head, shining her eyes from the blaring sun. Someone grabbed the blanket and pulled it away from her. She lifted her throbbing head to glare at whoever it was.

"What, Pope?"she frowned.

"We need a little help..."he said.

"What help?"she questioned.

Kiara peeked her head into the room.

"We're going down to the drain to get the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin,"she said.

"What?"Vicky frowned deeper.

Either she was too hungover or they just weren't making any sense.

"Please give me something more than that."

"Last night, we followed Ward around and caught an exchange between him and the pilot who flew his plane to Nassau. Gavin had Rafe's gun and Ward wanted to keep him quiet... Ward killed him and dropped the gun,"Kiara explained.

"If we could just get the gun, we can bring it down to the station and clear John B's name."

Vicky glanced between the both of them.

"Okay."

"Can I take a shower first or are you gonna drag me out now?"she questioned.

"Hurry,"Kiara said.

She grabbed her clothes and walked by them as Kiara smelled her.

"You smell like-"

"Like vodka? Yeah, I downed a whole bottle last night,"Vicky said.

Once she was fresh and clean, she went out and climbed into the backseat of Kiara's car to see JJ already on the other side.

"Oh."

He turned away from her and gazed out the window.

Everything was falling apart between them, with Ethan suddenly in the picture and her pushing JJ away. So much was going on and nothing was solved.

Kiara and Pope glanced at each other and then at them in the rear view mirror before the car moved and backed out onto the road.

What both Vicky and JJ didn't know were that they were not far apart in their survival. They sought distractions in alcohol and in other people and will always end up seeing each other, wondering why. Just why and what happened?

The car pulled up under the shade of a large tree and they climbed out, walking toward a large area of tall grass and brown water. Vicky held the urge to throw up at the smell.

"This is the North drain. The gun should've gotten washed into the gully,"JJ pointed somewhere into the water.

"So, if it got flushed from the drain, it would've been pushed out to-"

"There,"Vicky pointed to the left area where it was filled with plastics and litter.

"People who use plastic should be shot,"Kiara stared at the mess.

"I knew how you felt about plastics so..."Pope reached into his back pocket and pulled out a roll of black trash bags.

Kiara's lips curled into a shy smile.

"Alright, let's get to work, boys,"Vicky said.

They took their time, moving the litter into the trash bags as they searched for any signs of a black gun in the sewage water.

Three trash bags later and no gun.

"If it's not in the trash, it's gotta be somewhere in the storm drain,"Pope frowned.