Damn You Look Good

2 Months Later

Today was the first day of school for everyone in the Henson household. The girls were on their way to the 2nd grade and Taraji was on her way to her senior year of college. Taraji had work first, then she would go to class as soon as she got off. After eating breakfast, everyone piled into the 2017 Chevy Malibu and Taraji drove to the girls' school. "I want you girls to have fun at school. This year we are going to work hard and be the best that we can be. Heaven, I want you to push yourself and pay attention to your teacher more than those little mannish boys that keep trying to give you they mama's jewelry. Nevaeh, I want you to try to hold you questions until the teacher gets done teaching everything she prepared for the class. I know you are full of curiosity, but she still has to do her job. She can't just educate you alone. Is that understood?" Taraji asked after her beginning of the year speech. "Yes ma'am," The girls responded.

They pulled up to the school and prepared to get out. "I love you two. Have a great day. Remember, Nana is picking you up after school, so look for her. Bye, babies," Taraji yelled out the door. The girls waved bye and ran to catch up to some of their friends.

After an 8-hour shift, Taraji made her way to campus. She grabbed a snack at the cafeteria and went to her first class of the day; Modern Day Theories and Philosophies. She needed a science course to graduate, but it didn't have to be a "true" science class. She walked into the classroom, taking a seat midway up the stairs. She checked her watch for the time; 4:28p.m.The class started at 4:30 and the professor had yet to show up. She looked around at the students that already seemed too tired to care about the missing professor. She pulled out her phone about to text her mom, when she heard the voice she'd heard before, but much louder and closer. She looked up and saw the father of her children.

"Sorry for being late. Don't expect it to happen often, but if I am and it's over 15minutes, then I'm giving you permission to leave. Most likely I will be tied up in my lab and not planning on showing up. My name is Dr. Howard, and I am your professor for Modern Day Theories and Philosophies," Terrence announced. Taraji froze, never taking her eyes off her baby daddy. She watched him pull out a stack of papers and hand them to a student sitting closer to him, so they could be passed around. A student beside her nudged her, shaking her out of her trance. For the girls, this was going to be a dream come true, but for Taraji, this was going to be the longest semester of her life.

"I'm not going to keep you guys here all day. Today being the first day, i know how you go through the process of hearing the same speech in every class, so I'm going to keep it short. Read over the syllabus that you all have gotten from me and make sure you pay attention to the assignment and exam dates. This class is simple. You pay attention and participate in discussions, you should be able to pass my exams and pass this class with no problem. Any questions?" Terrence looked around and spotted a face that looked all too familiar. He stared at her, not paying attention to the 2 students who had their hands raised.

"Class is dismissed. Come down if you have any questions." Students rushed to get out of the room, hoping to enjoy the extra time they had left. Taraji grabbed her stuff and jetted down the stairs before Terrence could get around the 2 students blocking him in. He watched her duck out of the classroom and then returned his focus on his students. He made a mental note to go through his student roster and see if taraji's name came up.

Taraji took off towards the food court, hoping to blend in for an hour until her next class. She pulled out her phone and text Tiffany. Bitch it's him! He's my professor for my first class. I can't do this, it's a sign that I'm not meant to get my degree. She panicked trying to calm down, but she knew she couldn't show up to her next class high. She decided to have a mini meditation session. She walked around until she found a secluded set of seats in a corner. She put her bag in the seat facing her, then sat on the ground.