eleven

It was Tuesday afternoon– lacrosse practice

It was Tuesday afternoon– lacrosse practice. Which meant sitting in the benches, clutching on to my sweater because of how chilly it was, and staring at Cody run across the field. This time I stared not only at Cody, but at Peter.

I didn't do it on purpose, I swear. But he just kept staring at me. Every chance he had he would stare at me, and he tried to hide it but I could very well see. It made my blood boil just seeing him even look at me. He's the one who told me to stay away from him, why is he beaming me down?

After practice I was determined to get out of there as fast as I could. Cody stays on the field talking to the Coach, but Peter was already changing in the locker room. This bought me time to run away, but I needed Cody to get home. My bike was still getting fixed.

I bounce my legs up and down in anticipation. Coach was not letting Cody go any time soon, so I decided I would just walk home. I left his Gatorade on the first bench and grabbed my bag.

But it was too late. Peter was changed and jogging towards me.

"Dylan!" He called, catching up to me.

I shook my head at him and began walking faster. He was practically chasing me by now.

"We can't see each other." I remind him.

He stops in front of me, blocking me from getting any further. I stop and catch my breath again, sighing. What was the point in telling me that in the car when he was just going to ignore it?

"I feel that I owe you an explanation. I shouldn't have just threw that on you." He explained

"I understand plenty, Peter. Now please move out of my way." I smile bitterly, trying to move forward.

"You're so stubborn, O'Connor, I can never say anything before you assuming things! Just let me talk." He groans.

I scoff, "Assuming things? Then tell me if this is an assumption, Peter. You can't talk to me because Lara Jean doesn't want us to talk. Because you guys are together and we're not."

He's beginning to get really angry now, he begins to shout. "No! Well, yes, but–"

"Leave me alone, Peter."

"I just," He looks over to Cody who is now making his way over here, "Can we go somewhere else? Like a coffee shop?"

He wouldn't back down and he was only getting more annoying, so I agreed. I grabbed my bag, hopped in his truck and drove away before Cody could even catch up with us.

                                       ❀

I sit across from Peter in a small, dim-lighted coffee shop. Although it was only around five pm, it was getting quite dark outside. He was quietly sipping his chocolate shake, sitting there looking perfect as always.

"What happened to 'I cant see you anymore'?"

Peter put his shake back on the table and cleared his throat. "It's still in play."

"Doesn't this kind of disregard that?" I ask.

"Erm. ." He slowly nods, "Kind of."

I take a sip of my hot chocolate and sigh, running a hand through my messy hair. I leave my head in my hands for a few seconds before looking up at him.

"What are you doing?" I was getting impatient.

"Talking to you."

"No, Peter," I take a deep breath. "what are you doing?"

It seems like he doesn't even know what he's doing. He's just as confused as I am. "I don't know. I like your company."

My company? Why would he need my company when he has Lara Jean's company? Or maybe they are still fighting, which makes no sense since he agreed to stop seeing me. Well, he's not doing that now.

"And Lara Jean?" I inquire, leaning forwards.

"What she doesn't know can't hurt her."

I roll my eyes, "So you want to sneak around because you like my company? For a guy with a lot of friends, you're quite lonely, aren't you?"

He scoffs. "I am not lonely."

I raise my eyebrows in an 'oh really' way. He snatches his milkshake, angry with what I had said. He was such a little kid that it shocked me. How could someone this annoying have friends? Why am I his friend?

"Anyways," He drags it out, "we need a plan."

"A plan?"

"Yes. The beach party is in a few days."

My eyes go wide, "Beach party? It's December."

He laughs at my lack of knowledge on the events that the kids plan. I usually didn't attend these type of things because they seemed stupid. Just like this one.

"Exactly." He smiles.

"Okay, so what's the plan for?" I ask.

"Lara Jean has been spending a little too much time with Josh. We have to spy on them during the beach party and make sure no shit is happening between them."

I lean back in my chair and groan loudly, "You're insane."

He smiles triumphantly, "That's what you love about me."

a/n: ahhh! sorry it took me so long to update ive been busy today. i can't believe people are actually reading my book? thank you so much! all of you, and the ghost readers :)