thirteen

The red bikini that I currently had on was so tight that I had to readjust it every two minutes

The red bikini that I currently had on was so tight that I had to readjust it every two minutes. Summer convinced me to wear it. She said it would help me get laid.

Cody gave me and Summer a ride to the beach party. The whole time Summer was texting me to make a move. I didn't even attempt, I knew how awkward I could get around boys.

"We're here." Cody says, opening the door of his car.

We all get out and walk towards the beach. It wasn't freezing but it was pretty chilly. I grabbed my bag, looking for my sweater. The sweater wasn't anywhere to be found.

"Hey, Summer, did you put my sweater in here like I asked?" I ask her.

"Um," She bit her lip, "no."

I turn towards her in shock. How was I supposed to stay here? I'm in a bikini top and shorts, not to mention every boy here is horny as fuck. I needed something to cover myself.

Cody began buttoning down his shirt. Both me and Summer stared at him as he was taking off his shirt. I swear, his muscles were glistening. Either that or I was way too whipped over this boy.

He wrapped his flannel around me and began tying the arms around me. He was inches away from my face and if I wasn't such a coward I would lean in for it.

"There." He says, looking up at me.

I was standing in the middle of the beach with Cody Rodriguez's flannel wrapped around me. And Cody's shirtless body inches away from my face. I stared at his eyes, and I could see something in them. I couldn't make it out. Was it. . lust?

"Okay." Summer clears her throat. "I'll leave you two alone."

Cody laughs and backs away, all warmth now gone. I missed his body close to mine. "Let's go, shall we?"

I nodded ecstatically and followed Cody into the beach like a dog. Summer grinned at me from ear to ear, it was sort of creepy. "Holy shit."

"I fucking know." I agree, enjoying the view of his backside.

This night was definitely going to be one to remember. I was going to kiss a boy, and the boy would be Cody Rodriguez. With the help of some beer.

                                       ❀

"You know, my flannel looks good on you." Cody says as he brings me some beer.

It was my sixth cup of beer, and I was still feeling anxious. But I knew it would kick in in an hour or so. And then I would make my move.

"You think so?" I smile, "I think I might steal some more of your clothes."

"Really?" He chuckles.

"Just to see you shirtle–" I was interrupted.

By bird calls. Fuck.

I look around and see Peter staring at me, leaning against a car. Alone. I face Cody and laugh, "I have to go. I'll talk to you later, though!"

He confusingly nods and I dash towards Peter. I reach him, bending down and catching my breath. He looks down at me and I could tell that he was angry. His face showed every single emotion, he had to work on that.

"Where'd she go?" I ask, taking deep breaths.

"Away." He grunts, "What are you wearing?"

"Huh?" I look down at Cody's flannel and smile. "It's just a flannel."

"It's that douchebag's flannel, isn't it?" He asks, his eyebrows scrunching further away.

I roll my eyes and slap the side of his head. His eyebrows release and he yelps, "What the fuck?"

"Focus on the plan." I change the subject so that I would have to talk about the awkward subject Peter brought up.

"Right." He says, rubbing his head.

He sneers at Cody one last time before grabbing my arm and jogging away. We sneak around the beach, looking for Lara Jean. It was getting late, so there were only a little bit of people left. Everyone had gone home already. Either alone or with someone else. Mostly with someone else.

So it wasn't hard to spot Lara Jean. I saw her by the bathroom. I sigh, she's just using the bathroom. Of course. This plan was stupid to begin with.

But then she moves a little and behold; Josh Sanderson. He had the biggest smile on his face and both his hands were on Lara Jean's shoulders. What the fuck?

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but Josh then kisses Lara Jean's cheek. Holy fucking shit. I look over to Peter.

He wasn't angry or red or ready to fight. He looked so sad. His face was twisted in both disgust and agony. Tears brimmed his eyes and I knew right then that he wasn't going to fight anyone.

"Oh God, Peter. I'm so sorry."

                                      ❀

I took Peter away from Lara Jean and Josh. He wouldn't say anything. I sat him down near the now empty bonfire. Cody and Summer were somewhere else, I didn't see them at all. I grabbed Cody's flannel and put it over Peter, even though he wasn't cold I thought it would help somehow.

Peter grabbed Cody's flannel and threw it into the fire, kicking the sand. He then began to sob.

"Peter. ."

He put his head in his hands and cried. I never thought I'd see Peter crying in front of me. I thought the kid never cried. But here he was, crying over some girl who didn't deserve him.

I didn't know what to do. So I engulfed him in a hug. I rubbed his back and shushed him, I felt like I was putting a baby to sleep. I did that for a few minutes and he stopped crying. I almost began to sob as well. It broke my heart to see Peter like this. He didn't deserve this.

Peter put his hands down and stared at the fire. I don't know why, but I had this sudden urge to comfort him. I pushed his hair back and kissed his forehead. I put my head on his shoulder and stared at the fire with him.

He looked up at me with tears still falling down his face. His eyes were puffy and his nose was red, but he still looked so good. Peter Kavinsky never looked bad. I gave him a small smile.

"Why are you so nice to me?" His voice was barely a whisper.

"I don't know. Maybe I love you." I chuckle at my own joke.

He doesn't laugh. I see something in his eyes, just like Cody. But this time it wasn't lust. It was something else, something deeper. I couldn't make it out.

I look down towards him, suddenly frozen.

And then he kisses me.