12

Ismay couldn't stop thinking of what Penelope had told her as she went to meet with Gabriel. She followed the boy who'd called for her into the large study. "Queen Ismay, my king," he said, bowing then left.

Gabriel sat around a large table with Godfrey and Hugh. "We'll continue this in the morning," he told them. They both nodded, standing.

"I'm not interrupting, am I? I could come back later," she told them.

Godfrey smiled at her kindly. "Not at all, Queen Ismay. We were finishing."

"But not finished," Hugh grumbled, but he followed the older man out. She frowned watching him leave and close the door behind them.

"Don't mind, Hugh. He's still upset your sister got through his men and into the castle without any semblance of resistance," Gabriel told her, standing and sitting on a small couch just under a large window. "Sit with me? I'd like to continue our trade."

She took a seat on the opposite end of the couch. "My question is this, who invaded Darug and massacred your people."

Gabriel winced and nodded. "First, they're our people now, Ismay and my request is you sit here, next to me until you leave." It was simple enough request so she got up and sat next to him. "They were mostly by criminals and thugs. The kind of men who enjoyed violence and would do anything for a little bit of coin."

"But who hired them? And yes, I realize this will come with another request, but as I'm simply sitting here, I think I could fulfill another one."

"Ismay, this was all a long time ago," Gabriel said with a sigh.

"So you don't know?" Ismay replied and he shrugged. Suspicion bloomed inside her as he made no other efforts to answer. Something told Ismay, he knew more. "I'll assume that is a yes then...what about the royal family, how many survived? How did they survive?"

His face darkened and he suddenly stood up. "No! I will not talk about them. I refuse!"

Ismay blinked, taken aback by his sudden change. He refused? It made her hate herself, but the refusal stung. She swallowed. "Understood, I retract the question," she said. Her voice strained from the effort to hide how affected she was.

He turned to her his brow pinched. "Ismay — "

"No, I understand. I won't ask again," she said, holding up her hand to stop him. "I shall reconsider the remaining questions accordingly and we can meet again."

"What? Wait, where are you going?" Gabriel asked when she stood and started for the door.

"I told you, I need to reconsider my remaining questions. They are about your ancestors and your own family, which you've refused to speak about. I will respect that, but our trade will have to conclude until I can adjust. I will inform you once I have," Ismay explained then left. She hurried down the hall, trying to swallow down the hurt that he wouldn't trust her. This was probably for the best, Ismay told herself. Ismay was glad her sister wasn't there when she reached her room. She preferred to have some time to assess herself and the situation.

Ismay sat next to the fire, a goblet of wine in her hand, and watched the flames. It didn't matter if Gabriel trusted her or not when it came to family matters or at least that is what she kept telling herself. She knew most of Darug's tragic past and could guess that the other kingdoms must have played some role. That would be the only explanation for Gabriel's desire to prove himself to the other kingdoms and his apathy at upsetting them.

How Gabriel's ancestors survived and what happened to his parents and possible siblings had no bearing on her or her duties. She knew this, but Ismay couldn't get rid of her dissatisfaction. With one last long drink, Ismay set the goblet on the table. It was time to end this foolishness of hers and start working. Picking up the goblet, Ismay finished her wine and readied herself for bed.