21

"Is what you said true?" Gabriel asked once everyone had left. "You're going to disown your family?"

Ismay stood, picking up the goblet of wine. She walked over to the fireplace and stared at the hypnotic flames. "Yes, it's true."

She could feel him come to stand behind her. The heat from his body seeping into hers. "Are you sure that's what you want to do? I have no need of such gestures."

"It wasn't for you, Gabriel," she told him, looking over at her shoulder to him. "This was for me. To my father and at least to Margaret, I was a pawn to be used. They didn't care if I was hurt."

He placed his hands on her shoulders. "I'm sorry."

Ismay turned to face him. "You shouldn't be. None of this is any fault of yours. Actually, I want to thank you. You have saved my life and showing me the utmost respect, though you didn't have to. In all truth, you are the most honorable man I've ever known, despite your insistence on true love and following your heart ideals."

"High praise, my queen," Gabriel said with a smile. "But you do not need to thank me. Such things should simply be done. It's the right and proper thing to do."

She laughed despite her nervousness. His words had solidified her decision. "There is something else, Gabriel."

"What?" He asked, now sounding almost as nervous as her.

Ismay gave him a flash of a smile. "I want to gift you with what you could've taken my first night here." His confusion turned to stark surprise when she unlaced her bodice and let the dress pool at her feet, leaving her bare before him. Gabriel's mouth dropped open as he looked at her and she did her best not to squirm, especially as the silence stretched on.

"Ismay," he said, his voice rough and strained. "As much as I want this, I can't—we can't...you've been through a horrible experience and I'm not convinced you've fully thought this through. You need do nothing to prove your gratitude."

His word pleased and irritated Ismay at the same time. She hugged herself with her arms, feeling chilled and a bit too exposed. "This is not some misguided attempt to show gratitude, Gabriel. I am not that emotional." She leveled him with an unamused look. "I have thought of this, considered all the ramifications, and decided this is what I want to do."

"Well that's good to hear, but Ismay if this is not for love or at least some level affection, then it shouldn't happen," Gabriel told her.

The rejection stung Ismay and she pressed her lips together. Why was he making this difficult? From what Penelope and her mother had said, she assumed a man didn't need any affection or reason to take a woman to bed. Perhaps her mother was right. He wasn't so enamored by her.

"I am not like you or your people and I'm not as free-willed as my sister," Ismay admitted, with a hint of jealousy. Penelope most likely didn't have this kind of trouble. "I've been taught that no decision, gesture, or word should be made without cold, rational thought behind it. At this moment, I can not be so free or open with my emotions. I don't know if I ever will be."

"I just don't want to you to do something you'll regret later, Ismay and I'm not even sure you understand what you're giving to me."

"I'm no fool, Gabriel. I understand perfectly what it is I am offering," she said, starting to get angry. "I am trying to find my own path and this is part of that. If that's not enough for you or I am not enough then I'll go find some other man that will demand much less of me and ask fewer questions." Ismay started to bend down for her dress when Gabriel grabbed her arms.

"Oh, I do not think so. Any man comes near you with such intentions will die by my hands," Gabriel said adamantly. Ismay was surprised by the sudden possessiveness she saw him. He pulled her up and against him. His arms wrapped around her waist. "This is truly what you want, Ismay?"