15

Elena's words continued to unsettle Ismay long after they were said. Her counteroffer to Verun had finally been finished. She'd decided to offer an exchange of goods. Darug had ships and beautiful gemstones and jewelers. In exchange, Verun had wool and lamb which Ismay noticed wasn't consumed in Darug due to lack of land for grazing. It would be a start that would help open negotiations and start the bonds of allies between the two kingdoms.

From what Penelope had heard from her people, the four kingdoms had gone from wary curiosity to suspicious since her marriage which confirmed Ismay's already growing suspicions. Neither Iber or Saminas had responded to her correspondence nor sent any additional offers of trade or alliances. Not to mention, Gabriel's opinion of them, especially Iber, was cold at best. Now she was currently working with Godfrey to discover the right emissary.

"If this is so important why do I go?" Godfrey suggested.

"No," Ismay said without hesitation. "I can't afford to lose you here, even temporarily. Gabriel seeks council with only you and Lord Hugh. We both know Hugh's opinions of me."

Godfrey grinned, a rare occurrence from what Ismay had noted. "You believe that Hugh could sway the king against you? Then you far underestimate yourself, Queen Ismay. I will be honest, I have tried to convince Gabriel your marriage was a mistake and that he should annul it keeping you as his advisor."

Ismay blinked, startled and slightly betrayed. "Why?"

"The difference in beliefs. You are a diplomatic wife and he..." Godfrey sighed. "He seeks to find a love like his parents had. I was certain the only outcome of your union was suffering for you both, but I'm pleased to say I was wrong. It's unorthodox for your people and mine, but Gabriel is happy and I think you as well are content."

"I am," Ismay admitted, approving of his answer. If she had known how far his ignorance was when he first asked her to marry, she would've refused, thinking the same. "But be that as it may, I don't want you to go. Out of these men who would you say could appease the four kingdoms' without masking Darug's identity."

"Why both? I don't understand why you seek such a mix?"

"Gabriel told me he wanted to prove to the four kingdoms he wouldn't be cowed and Darug had survived and will survive. I wish to honor that."

It was Godfrey's turn to be surprised. Ismay allowed herself a small smile. "I can see what drew Gabriel to you," he said, surprising her now. "Philippe," he said, tapping his finger on the parchment. "Intelligent, and good with quick thinking. I fully expect he could be versed in the rules of the four kingdoms enough for the task by the end of the week, yet he is also a proud young man. He could represent both Darug's willingness to conform to the rules when needed but remind them Darug stands strong without them."

"Then I approve. Begin preparing him as soon as possible," Ismay said, standing.

"If I may, my queen, I have one request of my own," Godfrey said.

"A request? About the counteroffer or the emissary?"

"Neither, it's...a, uhm...personal matter," he said, appearing almost embarrassed.

She sat back down at the table, peering at him. "A personal matter? I am not sure how I may assist, but I shall listen."

"Princess Penelope, your sister, I would like to court her..."

"Lord Godfrey, you know the ways of the four kingdoms, and my sister is classed as a courtesan, correct?" He frowned and nodded. "Then you should know that only Penelope decides what man's service she commits herself too."

He frowned and shook his head. "I know she can entertain any man of her choosing, just as I know as a courtesan she's been forced into sterilization to prevent bastards. None of this concerns me as my interest is not of a courtesan, but as courting her as a proper suitor."