17

"Well someone was rather angry," Penelope said with a teasing smirk on her lips.

Ismay sighed, picking up the shredded pieces of parchment from the floor. "I was. I blame this kingdom. It's getting to me, causing me to lose control over myself."

"What is your plans now?" Penelope asked, picking up a few pieces of parchment.

The now familiar grip of panic gripped her throat. It had been almost a day and a half since the incident. Ismay had not seen Gabriel or Elena which she assumed meant he had sent the girl away, despite her threat. She swallowed down the panic. "I thought of returning home, but I'd be returning to failure and shame." Ismay shook her head. "I'd rather become a canoness, and serve the monastery."

"A sister of the faith? You? Ismay, you can't be serious. You're the least faithful person I know."

"I don't have much choice. I can not go back on my word, even if it is assumed Gabriel does not wish an annulment," Ismay replied.

"My goodness, what a mess."

"Not of my making," Ismay insisted and set the scraps of parchment on the desk, along with quills snapped in half. Thankfully, she'd calmed before smashing the inkwells. She was certain the tasking of cleaning that mess wouldn't be an easy one.

They finished cleaning up the room and had just set down to midday meal when there was a knock on the door, and without waiting, Gabriel walked in. His expression serious. "King Gabriel," Ismay said, remaining in her seat and continuing to eat while Penelope had stood and curtsied before him. "What do I owe the visit?"

"I wanted to talk with you."

Ismay nodded, taking a drink of wine. When he didn't say anything for a moment she said, "I am listening."

"Alone, if at all possible," he replied.

Ismay had every intention of telling him it wasn't possible but instead, Penelope once again stood and curtsied. "Of course." She gave Ismay a wink the king couldn't see and hurried out of the room.

Ismay took another slow drink. "We're alone and I'm still listening."

He took a seat next to Ismay. "I have considered our situation and you're wrong, Ismay. This has nothing to do with trust."

She scoffed. "And I disagree. This conversation was quite short indeed."

"Ismay," Gabriel said, looking frustrated.

"I believe I made myself very clear last time we spoke. You insist I'm welcome to every aspect of your life, yet you will not give me any answers. I have determined that I can not continue like this and—"

"Ismay, will you stop assuming what I am saying and let me speak?" Ismay snapped her mouth shut. "This has nothing to do with trust, but my own concerns. If Elena and what she could do was discovered, her life would be in danger."

"How is being a bastard or a witch going to put her in danger? There are witches in the four kingdoms. They are the ones who sterilize our courtesans."

"Bastard? You think Elena is my bastard?" Gabriel said with a laugh that had Ismay grinding her teeth. He must have noticed because the humor died quickly. "She is not simply a witch, but one with great power."

"And you think I would betray her? My only friend and confidant in this insane kingdom?"

He started to say something then stopped. "I didn't know that. No, I don't believe you'd betray her, but as the number of people who know so does the risk of the wrong people learning of her. Which brings me back to you. I know what I said, no part of me was out of reach to you, but I must be honest there are things I didn't want you to know. In part for fear of your reactions and secondly, I've lost everyone, Ismay. Answering your questions, letting you discover everything could put you at risk."