{10: Spirit Leader}

6 months later, present day

madison's pov. avengers complex, upstate new york.

It's been a couple months since I first met the Avengers, and a lot has changed since then. First of all, I have a much better relationship with them, and they trust me more, I think. And, I apologized for joking about their pajama suits...unfortunately.

I go to school and live at Stark Tower in New York City with Peter during the week, and we come back to Headquarters for the weekends to do more training. I'm so grateful for where I am now, and I love my new family.

"What's your school username for the website homework thingy?" Peter asks. He rolls over onto his back and crosses his arms behind his head.

"Stop rolling around on my bed," I scold teasingly, and he makes a face. He turns back towards his computer and resumes typing. I pull out another shirt from my drawer and tuck it into my backpack. "Are you packed up?"

"You're avoiding my question," he laughs. "And yeah, basically. So, what's your username?"

"Why?" I finish packing away the last pair of jeans and zip up my backpack.

"I'm looking up what score I got on the Chem test," he answers innocently, typing some more into the computer.

"What?" I jump back onto the bed next to him. "How are you doing that?"

Peter shrugs and keeps typing. "See, look. This is the teacher website system, and this is the teacher log in that I bypassed with this cool thing Mr. Stark gave me. So what's your username?"

"Uh, no, we're not doing that." I snatch up the computer from him and scoot off the bed.

"Hey!" he cries, "Why not?"

"That's just wrong." I start to close the tab, but there are so many little windows open for the hacking Peter was doing. "What did you even do here?"

"Hey! Don't close those tabs!" He jumps up and tries to grab the computer from me. I giggle and evade him, and he grabs me by the waist to pull me back. Holding the computer above me, I try to avoid him, but he snatches it from me with one hand.

"Thank you." Peter says, grinning, as he shuts the computer safely and tucks into his backpack.

I glare at him, crossing my arms over my chest. "Not okay."

"Hey, guys," I hear Ali calling through the door, and she knocks lightly. "You guys should get some training in before you leave."

I giggle. "Right away, ma'am." 

the next day

My phone buzzes, drawing me from a fitful sleep. I reach over to turn it off and crawl out of bed to open the curtains. Peter and I live on one of the upper floors of Mr. Stark's ginormous headquarters highrise, and it took a while to get used to.

After getting dressed, I grab my backpack and head into the kitchen. Peter's already there, eating a bowl of cereal and playing with some weird electrical thing on the counter.

"Morning," he greets me, barely looking up. "You're late."

"Of course," I roll my eyes. "The ONE time I get up after you, you call me late?"

Peter attaches some wire to a circuit and it makes a loud snapping sound. "Grouchy much?"

"Hardly." I grin innocently and pour myself some cereal.

The apartment door slams, and with a warm welcoming breeze comes in Happy.

"Ready yet? I'm dropping this off in Tony's lab, and when I come back, I expect you to be ready." With that, he's out of the room.

"Dude," Peter calls after him. "We still have at least 15 minutes before we have to leave."

"Right?" We laugh together.

After breakfast, we load our dishes into the dishwasher (per mOmmy Pepper's rEqUEst), and get ready by the car.

"What happened?" Peter teases as Happy comes back into the room after 20 minutes. "I thought you were just dropping something off in the lab?"

"I don't care what you think I said," Happy says, tossing Peter the keys. "Get in the car and I'll be right there."

I wink at Peter, and Happy whirls back around, glaring at us. "And no. driving. the. car."

"Of course, why would you think we would try that?" I ask innocently, pushing Peter in front of me out to the elevator.

"Remind me to ask Tony why I'm here babysitting two teenagers!" Happy yells after us.

"Yes, sir." We both answer back, before collapsing into laughter.

one hour later

"Hey, Pete, hey hey, Mads!" Ned greets both of us with big hugs when we meet by Peter's locker, as usual.

Peter laughs. "You just saw us yesterday."

"So?" Ned grins. "I can be glad to see my best friend who happens to be Sp-"

"-pirit leader?" I interrupt, giving him a quizzical look. "Peter, you didn't tell me you were going to be Spirit Leader?"

"I'm not." Peter says, confused.

I heave a long sigh and raise my eyebrows at him. He squirms awkwardly, and then says, "I am?"

"No, dummy." I slap his arm, rolling my eyes. "Whatever." 

"Ohh!" The lightbulb goes on in his head, and he shoots Ned a look. "Of course not. Not yet."

"Not yet what?" Michelle materializes out of thin air, propping herself up on the locker.

All of us are frozen for a second, before I finally say, "Spirit leader...for Decathlon..?"

She laughs. "What is that supposed to mean? I literally sleep half the time during meetings."

"True." I nod, laughing. "Anyways, I'm gonna head to class now. Wanna come, MJ?"

"Sure." She shugs, following after me. We start heading down the hallway to our first class, English.

"By the way," MJ turns to me. "What's up with you and Peter?"

"What do you mean?"

She shrugs. "You're always hanging out."

"You know, the Stark Internship." I bluff easily, with all the spy training I've had. "We dorm there now, and get rides here and back."

"Sounds boring. What do you guys even do?"

"Well, I-"

"Just kidding, I don't care," she says in her normal nonchalant tone. I laugh.

Having a normal life is finally feeling normal to me. I'm so happy to finally be able to act like a normal kid, and to have a supportive 'family' that protects and trains me.

Hopefully it stays this way...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

writing in first person past tense just looks horrible, which is why i changed it for these coming chapters. ill probably go back and fix the other ones later but skcijdjs they look so gross

also yes, major time skip yAY.

i hate this book okkk it sounds so much better in my head lol