03. Blue Lion

What's very ironic is that I just made a new tab (I have this extension where random Voltron pictures pop up on it) and it just showed the Blue Lion, on this exact episode. And I'm like: How the heck does my google know that I'm making this chapter right now? o-o

(Picture is up top, and yes I started working on this at 11:39 PM. I was bored and not exactly tired so... EARLY CHAPTER! Not exactly because this took like 3 hours or more to finish...)

─ ─ ─ ─

The sun shined brightly through the window, as it was now morning. Shiro had also woken up a while ago and went outside, Keith following him shortly after. Lance, Hunk, Pidge and [Y/N] stayed in the shack, wide awake.

[Y/N] sat on the couch, her elbows rested on her thighs as she was bored out of her mind. Beside her, the other three were chatting away with each other, but she paid no mind of what they were talking about.

She straightened her back as she heard the door open. Both Shiro and Keith entered the room, and Keith stepped over to a board and pulled a white cover off it. A bunch of pictures with a map were pinned to the wall. [Y/N] looked at the curiously, confused on what they were for.

"What have you been working on?" Asked Shiro.

"I can't explain it, really," He answered truthfully. "After getting booted from the Garrison, I was kind of lost and found myself drawn out to this place. It's like something... some energy, was telling me to search."

"Search for what?"

"Well, I didn't really know at the time... until I stumbled across this area," He pointed to the center of the map, which had the words, "ENERGY SOURCE!". "It's an outcropping of giant boulders with caves covered in these ancient markings. Each tells a different story about a blue lion, but they all share clues leading to some event, some arrival happening last night. Then, you showed up." His head turned to Shiro.

[Y/N] furrowed her brows in confusion. First, they figure out about something called Voltron, and now there is these markings about a blue lion in a cave. What else is there that they all don't know?

Shiro then turned to face the others. "I should thank you all for getting me out," He held his hand out to Lance. "Lance, right?"

The brown haired boy hesitated as he stared at his robotic arm, but he soon shook it. Shiro then turned to [Y/N], and she stood up and shook his hand. "[Y/N]. You probably don't remember me, but I was in the class that you were instructing before a while back."

He thought for a moment. "I think I remember you. You're [Y/N] [L/N], right?"

She smiled, giving him a nod. "Yup."

He nodded back and turned to Pidge, and she also shook his hand. "The nervous guy's Hunk. I'm Pidge. So, did anyone else from your crew make it out?"

"I'm not sure. I remember going on the mission and being captured. After that, it's just bits and pieces." He replied with a grim expression.

Hunk then spoke up. "Yeah, sorry to interrupt, but back to the aliens. Where are they now? Are they coming? Are they coming for us? Where are they at this very moment?" He questioned, seeming a bit panicked.

"I can't really put it together. I remember the word "Voltron." It's some kind of weapon they're looking for, but I don't know why," Shiro said. "Whatever it is, I think we need to find it before they do."

"Well, last night, I was rummaging around through Pidge's and [Y/N]'s stuff, and I found these pictures," Hunk grabbed both their bags. He held up a picture of Pidge and Matt and one of [Y/N] and Keith. In the photo, she had her arm wrapped around his shoulders, her other hand holding up a peace sign while she had a large grin on her face. Keith had his arms crossed, looking as if he didn't want to be there, but you could see the small smile he had. "Look, it's Pidge's girlfriend, and I didn't know were such close friends with Keith, [Y/N]."

[Y/N]'s face turned bright red out of embarrassment. She had completely forgotten that photo was in her bag. In the corner of her eye she could see Keith looking at her with a smirk and raised eyebrow.

The two girls then snatched the pictures from Hunk's grasp. "What were you doing with our stuff?" Pidge asked angrily while snatching both bags from him also. She handed the [H/C] haired girl her bag back, earning her a quiet thanks.

[Y/N] stuffed the photo back into her bag, her face still red. She then looked in it to see if anything else was missing. Sure enough, all her snacks were gone. "Hunk! You could've at least asked if you could have a snack."

"I was hungry," He shrugged. "But, then, I started to read Pidge's diary."

"What?" Said girl shouted, and she quickly snatched the book from him. [A/N: And this is the exact reason why I don't put my thoughts down on paper.]

"I noticed the repeating series of numbers the aliens are searching for looks a lot like Fraunhofer line."

"Frown-- who?" Keith questioned, his arms crossed against his chest like usual.

"It's a number describing the emission spectrum of an element," Hunk explained. "Only, this element doesn't exist on Earth. I thought it might be this Voltron. I might be able to build something to look for it, like a Voltron Geiger counter."

"Hunk, you big, gassy genius!" Lance praised.

"It's pretty fascinating, really. The wavelength looks like this." He pulled out a piece of paper and unfolded it. The red lines on it looked somewhat familiar.

Keith must've caught onto it too, as he would step over. "Give me that." Not even waiting for a response, he ripped the paper out of Hunk's hands and went back to the board. He held it up under a picture of large rocks. The lines exactly outlining them.

─ ─ ─ ─

"Okay, I admit. This is super freaky." Said Lance. They were all now at their destination.

"I'm getting a reading." Hunk announced and began to walk, Pidge in pursuit as she held a small satellite that was connected to Hunk's Voltron Geiger counter by a thick black wire.

The rest soon followed, glancing around their surroundings. The only thing [Y/N] could hear was the beeping from the small machine Hunk held and everyone's footsteps. Suddenly, the beeping intensified and the two ahead of everyone ran forward.

They stop above a slope. Just down it, was a cave entrance. The six then slid down the small slope and entered the dark cave. Various carvings were scattered all over the stone walls.

"What are these?" Shiro asked.

"These are the lion carvings I was telling you about. They're everywhere around here." Keith told him.

Lance stepped over to a carving and brushed some of the dust off it. As soon as his hand left the wall, the outlines of the carvings began to glow a bright blue.

"Lance, what did you do?" [Y/N] asked, inching closer to Keith. She stared at the markings with wide [E/C] eyes.

"I didn't do anything! I just touched it and that happened!"

"They've never done that before." Keith commented.

Suddenly, the ground started to crumble and glowed the same blue. Before you could even say the word "cookie," the ground left their feet and everyone began to scream as they slid down some type of water slide.

[Y/N] yelped when she was thrown onto the ground, her clothes now soaked. A large wave then crashed on top of her as Hunk and Pidge landed in the shallow water. Now she was completely drenched. She groaned lightly as she sat up, opening her eyes to see a hand. She looked up and noticed it was Keith's. She smiled slightly and grasped onto his hand, letting him pull her to her feet.

But as Keith turned around, he froze as his gray-blue eyes widened. Curiously, [Y/N] followed his gaze and gasped loudly.

There stood a large mechanical blue lion.