𝐭𝐰𝐨

Once returning to the house after departing from the restaurant, I was desperate to just roll into my comfortable bed and fall fast asleep after such a long day. All I can remember is lying in bed around 8 o' clock, my mind running busy with thoughts of what happened not too earlier that day before my body finally allowed me to slip into R.E.M. (stream sweetener).

The sun's rays leaking in from the sun roof above my bed and onto my face was an extremely refreshing start of the new day. Pulling myself out of my soft bed, my bare feet patter against the cool, bronzed tiles as I saunter into the kitchen. I'm met with the rest of the family already up, making small talk as my father sizzled bacon and eggs in skillets on the stove, the scent filling up the room. I guess they already done the grocery shopping this morning without me.

"Good morning, pumpkin!" My father happily welcomes, being the positive, morning man that he is. I mumble a good morning back, taking a seat on the stool next to my brother.

"Always the last to wake up." My brother, Greg, shakes his head, giving me a playful stink eye.

"I need my beauty sleep; can't expect to look this good without getting a good rest." I reference towards myself, a playful smile on my face.

"Damn, no wonder I look like shit."

"Gregory, language!" My mother scorns.

"Mother, I'm twenty-one, you need to stop babying me." Gregory scoffs.

"Gregory, we understand you're an adult, and you can do whatever you want, but please stop swearing in front of your mother, you know she hates it." My father speaks up while continuing to cooking breakfast.

"Sorry, sorry..."

The pointless conversation came to a halt as my father served breakfast, everyone munching quietly on their eggs, bacon, and toast. Once we finished eating until our little stomachs were full, my brother and I raced towards the couch to get to pick what's on T.V. as our parents cleaned up the dishes.

Much of the morning was spent quite lazily as we all lounged around the house, either watching T.V. or reading a book. I was one to get aggravated from sitting around doing nothing all day; I always wanted to be up and doing something, anything.

I stare at my brother as he kept his eyes glued to the T.V., the remote sitting in his lap. I go to sneakily grab it, yet was beat to it by his own hand, a smirk growing on his face. "Nope."

I groan obnoxiously, slumping back into the couch. I look over at the clock, the hands signaling it's almost around noon already. Thinking it'd be quite hot enough to jump in the pool, I quickly go into my room to change into my bathing suit, grabbing a towel before heading towards the door. As I enter the kitchen, the yellow phone on the wall begins ringing.

I've never heard that phone ring before. We usually only use it to book activities or call for information on places, so I found this situation quite odd.

I stop at the front door with my hand gripping the handle, watching my mother walk towards the phone and grab it off the hook.

"Hello?" My mother chirps into the phone with her nicest voice possible. Her furrowed eyebrows told me how confused she was as well. "Yes, this is she."

I find myself holding my breath as if it would allow me to be able to hear the other end of the line. I couldn't help but be inquisitive on the conversation.

"Oh, yes! It's finally nice to talk to you." Realization spreads across my mother's face, only making me question what's being said even more. Who is she talking to? I look over towards my brother who just seems as confused as I am.