7

He and Isaac sat on the bleachers after school and looked through all the leaflets they'd picked up. Stiles had no idea what he wanted to do once he left school – he envied Isaac's clear plan for the future.

"I was hoping to speak to someone from here." He said, looking at the glossy folder he'd shown Stiles on the bus back. "It looks really good and they've got a great reputation in the industry – Dr Deacon was actually pretty pleased I was thinking about it."

"That sounds awesome." Stiles said, looking at his own pile. It looked like Stiles had just walked past every stall there and picked stuff up. "I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Well… neither did I – and then I start working at the vets and… it just made sense. Maybe you'll see something or read something and it'll be… obvious." Isaac smiled, and Stiles remembered just how great it was to have someone to talk to. He missed Scott like a hole in the heart, but he'd ignored him for the better part of a month and when he did talk to him it was always obvious he'd rather be somewhere else.

"Maybe." Stiles said, because what he really wanted to be wasn't something you could learn. He wanted to be the guy that the pack needed to do the research. He wanted to be the one with the books and the knowledge of all the freaky supernatural stuff that could go down. He wanted to protect them, help them – not just sit by and watch.

"Can I ask you a question?" Isaac said, looking through the piles that Stiles had picked up. His voice sounded… strained.

"You can ask me anything." Stiles said, and he meant it.

"Are you leaving the pack?"

"What?"

"Are you thinking of leaving the pack?"

"What makes you think I would?"

"All of these are for out of state." Isaac said, and lifted up the pile. "This is New York, this is Denver, and this here is for Texas."

"I just picked them up; I wasn't really thinking of going to them."

"Oh." Isaac looked relived. "Good." He nudged Stiles shoulder. "It would totally suck if you left."

Stiles didn't want to think about how good that made him feel.

Isaac was ignoring his phone – even Stiles could hear the vibrating of the mobile on the wooden bench. "Are you going to get that?"

"It's just a text." Isaac said, glancing down and picking up his phone. He swiped the screen and laughed – showing the joke he'd been sent. 'What do u gt if u cross a witch and a werewlf? A mad dog tht chases aeroplanes. Huff puff! R x'

"R?"

"Reever." Isaac said, going red. "She's got loads of these stupid jokes she sends."

"She seems nice." Stiles said, not really sure how he felt about the whole thing. Scott got a girlfriend and totally changed his priorities overnight.

"Yeah. The thing is… I kinda feel like…" Isaac stared over the pitch as he got his words in order. "I know her, like I've known her always." He looked at Stiles. "I know we're going to be together forever. And it scares me." He looked down at his phone. "I don't have any choice."