The scheme within the scheme

School, early morning

Jeon Jungkook

As usual, I arrived at school 30 minutes before class. What was it that Lisa said about that? Ah yes, that only freaks come this early to school or something like that. I smiled as I remember. I am one of those early freaks.

Today, unlike other days, I feel cheerful and wide awake despite the late night I spent playing on my computer. Looking forward to something feels awesome. What am I looking forward to? Well there's the weekend, which I always look forward to but after this coming weekend, it's going to be a holiday which makes it a long weekend, which makes it extra special. It's two days away.

Then there's Lisa, the girl I like, though I only admitted that yesterday, but seeing her is now the thing that I look forward to the most. Seeing her today and on the coming days, that is.

A perfectly good reason to not skip school from now on.

I smiled again as I climbed the stairs to the second floor. By the top of the stairs is the vending machine which Lisa slapped and shoved and kicked and punched just the other day. Although she didn't actually get to the punching part since she hit me in the face before could do it.

I reached the top of the stairs, still smiling at the thought of seeing Lisa and ready to give a believable sneeze at her as a 'good morning' greeting. However, there was no Lisa by the vending machine today. There's only her weird friend, Kim Jisoo.

I let my smile fade.
What a let down.

Jisoo saw me and smiled, very widely. As in widely, I can see her lower and upper teeth. "Good morning Jungoo my chingu (friend)!" She greeted me cheerfully.

"Where's Lisa?" I asked as I sat on the bench nearby. "And what did you just call me?"

She followed. "Jungoo my chingu? And Lisa isn't here, unless you're seeing things."

"Why are you calling me Jungoo? My name is Jeon Jungkook. That's Jungkook to you. Don't give me weird nicknames."

"Can't I call you Jungoo since we're friends and everything?" She asked with a pout, sitting down beside me.

"Nope. And tell me how are we friends exactly? After you bullied me yesterday?"

"Pffft. What do you mean bullied you? All I did was  ask you a question." She said, giving me an innocent wide-eyed look which I'm totally not buying.

I pretended to think for a moment. "Let's see.. You asked me a question which I refused to answer and then you threatened to tell your friend on the spot that I don't like her and that she should never fall in love with me. You bullied and pressured me into answering." I finished, giving her the best accusing look that I can give.

"But didn't you say you like her?"

"I do like her, but that's not the point. The point isㅡ"

Jisoo sneezed loudly and forcefully.

"Bless you. As I was saying, the point isㅡ"

She did it again.

"Are you doing that on purpose?" I asked, not wanting to be a person who can't catch a hint.

"Oh you noticed?" She grinned.

I shouldn't hit Lisa's friend so I had to settle at narrowing my eyes at her.

She patted me on the shoulder consolingly. "Jungoo my chingu, here's what I remember. When I asked you if you liked my friend, I remember that you acted all coy and shit before admitting that you actually do like her."