the nod of respect

Lisa's place

"Would you like to go on a date with me?"

Lisa stared at Jungkook for a moment. Within this moment, Lisa's mind worked very fast: Why is Kookie asking her out on a date?

Fast flashback to what happened earlier: Since Jisoo had pointed out that it was perfectly normal and healthy to find Jungkook attractive and handsome, she decided that instead of keeping that fact to herself like a dirty little secret that will make her feel extremely uncomfortable everytime she sees him, she'll just go ahead and tell Kookie the truth and come clean. In her mind, this move made perfect sense. When you let something out in the open, it becomes mundane, meaning dull and ordinary therefore insignificant and not worth of note. And so she told him that she thinks he's handsome and attractive. And then she assured him that she had no intention of getting into his socks unlike the rest of his fans. And then Kookie, because he's such a nice person, complimented her in return (told her she's cute), and he even joked around (about her getting into his socks) to assure her that he didn't hate her. But now, why is he asking out of the blue if she wants to go out on a date?

...

Ahh, she figured it out. It's a trap!

A test of sorts. The invitation to a date is some sort of a bait. He wants to make sure that I'm not turning into one of those idiot girls that worships his uvula and the ground he walks on. Lisa narrowed her eyes. If I accept the invitation, that confirms I'm turning idiot and dangerous. If I refuse, that would prove to him that I'm safe and not turning idiot. Lisa narrowed her eyes further. Clever. How very clever of you, Kookie, she thought to herself. She gave his shoulder a pat to show her understanding. "Good one, Kookie." And then she also gave him a nod of respect.

And then she went to the kitchen.

...

What?

Kookie was left alone in the room, feeling confused. He's trying to figure out what her pat and nod was about. His mind worked very fast: he asked her out on a date, why is her answer a pat and nod and the words 'good one'?

Good what? Good joke? No way, did she think he was kidding? If she thought he was joking and that the joke was good, why didn't she laugh or smile like a normal person or grimace like the weird person that she is? Instead she gave him a pat and... He can't help but get the impression that that nod was a nod of respect. But that's weird, what is she nodding at me in respect for?

...

Akkkkkkkkkk! He can't figure her out. He gave up and followed her out.

...

At the table...

"Kookie, you brought spicy chicken!" Lisa exclaimed happily.

He smiled at her glee. "Yeah, I heard you like them."

"Thank you. You're really, seriously, such a nice person. I'm so glad you're my friend." Lisa told him, touched.

Jungkook's smiled disappeared.

Lisa didn't notice.

Jisoo noticed and she let out a snort. "Friend."

He gave her an annoyed look, if she didn't barge in earlier, he wouldn't be friendzoned right now. He turned to Lisa and smiled. "You're very welcome."

"I'm actually really thankful too, Jungoo. If you didn't bring chicken, we would have had no choice but to suffer eggs all weekend." Jisoo said. "I told Lisa she should go grocery shopping but she refused because she's a moronㅡ aw!" Lisa kicked Jisoo under the table. "My bad! She refused because the sun's still up." Jisoo corrected herself.