The Mission in Iran Part 1

Something is definitely wrong.

Tony had been sporting a worried look all day, constantly jumping at every noise, turning at every gasp, every whimper, every breath. He looked horrible, like he hadn't slept in several days, which he hardly did anyways, but this wasn't because he wanted to stay up and work on a suit design. No, this was most definitely tossing and turning and not even being able to sleep because of worry. But of course, that begged the question, what was Tony so worked up about?

Peter hoped it wasn't anything he had done wrong. Tony had said a million times that he was no longer mad about the police station accident, but Peter was still worried about it. It had been almost a month, but he just couldn't shake the feeling that Tony was upset with him for some reason.

Pepper had been around more recently, with Happy as well. For the last month or so, they had been in a conference in Taiwan, tying loose ends and rubbing elbows with some major company leaders there. At least, that's how Tony described it to Peter. And then, last night, Pepper and Happy had come home. Peter had no idea, until he walked into the kitchen to see Pepper making breakfast with Tony hugging her from behind. Happy was nowhere to be found.

"Ah, hi Peter!" Pepper turns around with a warm smile, shaking Tony's embrace off of her. "How are you?"

"Uh, I'm good. Thank you, Miss Potts." He says, clearing his throat awkwardly. "How are you?"

Pepper gives Tony a look saying, what a little sweetheart before replying that she was doing great.

"So, are you and Happy going to be around more?" Peter says with a smile as he pours his cereal.

"For a while, at least." Pepper laughs. "You'll be stuck with us while Tony's gone, which'll be who knows how long-" Tony, who had been staring at the counter and sipping coffee suddenly jerks up, his eyes wide and tries to signal to Pepper to stop talking.

Pulling him to the side, Peter can hear almost every whispered word between the two of them.

"You haven't told him yet?" Pepper hisses. "Anthony Stark, sometimes I can't believe you."

"I didn't want to worry him, Pep." Tony sighs. "You know what could happen."

"It's just like every other time you go to play superhero." Pepper says. "I don't understand why you can't tell Peter about it."

He was going somewhere dangerous. Without Peter.

"I'll come back, I promise."

"That's what you always say."

"I'll be with the guys. Between Romanoff and Captain-Stars-and-Stripes, I'll come back in one piece."

"Then why can't you tell him that?"

"He's been through enough, really." Tony says shakily.

"Tony Edward Stark, you better explain to him something. You leave tomorrow." With that, Pepper turns around and heads back into the room. She tries to smile warmly at Peter, but he can see both the worry and the discomfort behind her eyes.

"You've hardly touched your cereal, Pete." Pepper looks at him quizzically. "Is everything alright?" She asks in a sympathetic voice. Like a mom would.

"Yeah, yeah." He says as natural as possible. "I'm just not really all that hungry now. I think I'll go to my room."

"Alright, Peter." Pepper says as he leaves. "If you get hungry, you know where the kitchen is. As Peter is walking from the room, he hears Pepper hiss, "Go. Now."