Magnus's Choice

The Warlock of Notre Dame Chapter Eight: Magnus's choice.

Magnus Pov- "How long do you think he's going to keep cleaning that bell? He's been wiping down the same one for the past hour," Ragnor's voice hit my ears but I ignored him. I couldn't focus on anything else but my worry for Alec.

There was so much spinning around in my head. Alec possibly killed Master Valentine, Jonathan was determined to kill Alec, and worst of all, half of Paris was currently on fire.

It started with the Antique store at the end of town that holds all the Vampires of Paris. I was standing at the Balcony looking out for Alec, when suddenly smoke rose up into the sky. Terrified that Alec could be in danger, I got on the roof of the cathedral to see where it was coming from. The building ended up falling in on itself, and by time the fire was out, there was only ash and the dust from the vampire's bodies left behind.

An hour later, the werewolf bar in the middle of town was the next to be caught on fire. One after another, every Downworlder establishment in Paris was set ablaze. The sun had set by now but the flames illuminating outside made it feel like it was still sundown.

I can't help but freak out by all of this. What was Jonathan doing to the city? Was Alec hiding in any of those buildings? What if he was dead?

No! I can't even think about the possibility that Alec could be dead. I refuse to even consider it. He is the strongest person I have ever met. Alec might be far from Paris by now, and I was just making myself sick with worry over nothing.

The thought of Alec leaving Paris hurt almost as much as the thought of him being dead. We haven't known each other very long, but I already can't imagine my life without him. He makes me feel things I have never felt before. He gives me a sense of confidence that I'm not ready to lose yet.

"Do you regret not going with him," Catarina asked softly. She was sitting on the edge of the balcony, looking out at the flames of Paris. I stopped cleaning the already spotless bell and glanced at her frowning. She hasn't said anything since the fires started.

Ragnor had done nothing but talk since they started. Speaking all the doubts I had in my head out loud, making them ten times worse. 'Alec has to be dead by now', 'Jonathan won't stop until he has him', 'maybe you should give up hope'.

The only reason I started washing the bells is because I couldn't stand Ragnors words any longer. I had to distract myself with something. Anything.

Catarina looked back at me when I didn't answer her question. I sighed, dropping the cloth that was in my hand before I walked over to the balcony, sitting next to her.

"Do I regret letting Alec go without me... yes, of course. That doesn't change the fact that I'm not safe out there."

She frowned, leaning toward me and putting her hand on top of mine. "You aren't safe here either Magnus. Being Jonathans 'brother' doesn't change the fact that you are a Downworlder. He could turn on you at any point in time. Why torture yourself staying here when you could go find Alec and be with him?"

I looked down at my feet, squeezing Catarina's hand in mine. "I've always been here Cat. This bell tower is all I have ever known. Jonathan, Valentine, and this institute is all I have ever known. What if I leave and something goes wrong? I'm a warlock. There are people out there who want me dead, right? I don't know how to fight with Magic and I can't just expect Alec to protect me. Besides that, Alec is the one who needs protecting and I can't do it."

"You said so yourself that Alec gave you confidence. Maybe being with him will help you learn about yourself and your magic. Staying here will only stall that growth."