A Night of Miracles

A/N: Warning adult sexual content

The Warlock of Notre Dame Chapter Nine- A Night of Miracles.

"I've wasted my faith believing in saints of plaster, when the only one worth believing in was my master" - Quasimodo, Heart of Stone, The Hunchback of Notre Dame the Musical.

  "This was a terrible Idea," I groaned as I made my way down the cold wet street. It started pouring down raining a half an hour ago, which was great because almost all of Paris was on fire and it was putting them out. What wasn't great was the fact that I didn't have a coat or anything to cover myself up with, so I was soaked to the bone.

Jace had left me a few blocks back at the DDS building. I tried to convince Catarina and Ragnor to come with me, but Catarina said once I left Paris, I wouldn't need them anymore. I'm not sure what she meant by that. They were my best friends. Why wouldn't I need them with me?

Without them or Jace I was left alone to wonder the streets, looking for the old barn. I knew where it was from up high, but from down below... everything looked so different.

Besides the fact that I was lost, I couldn't help but look over my shoulder every three seconds, worried that Jonathan somehow caught me sneaking out and would jump out any moment to punish me. He's going to be heart broken when he finds out that I left. I promised him I would never turn my back on him, but I can't live under his thumb anymore. I want to be free from stone walls and live happily with Alec. Alec says I deserve to do so.

The rain pounded harder against my skin as I turned another corner, passing the bakery Alec took me too the day we met. The old man who owned the bakery was wondering around with a cloak over his head and holding a lit lantern in his hand. I was surprised that the rain hadn't put it out, but it seemed protected by the glass.

Once his eyes landed on me, he moved over to me quickly. I stopped in my tracks, tensing up in slight fear. Even if he was just a mundane, he could be just as dangerous to me as anyone else.

My shoulders relaxed when I saw the worried expression on his face. "Please young man, may I have a moment of your time?"

He sounded frantic and all I could do was nod in response.

"Do you know my grandson? He was supposed to be working the bakery today, but when I came back he wasn't there. He's young so I figured he must of got distracted and run off, but he hasn't come home and I'm getting a little worried."

I frowned feeling bad for him. I've seen both him and his grandson from up at the bell tower from time to time. His grandson had a habit of flirting with young men around town square. In fact, I never knew men could be interested in the other men until I had seen him kissing up a boys throat.

When I asked Master Valentine about it, he had beat me and told me that if I ever mentioned something like that again, he would kill me. Not wanting to test him, I never talked about it again. Jonathan was a little easier to bring the subject up to. He agreed that it was wrong, but he looked more uncomfortable than angry with the topic.

"I'm sorry sir, I haven't seen your grandson today."

That answer made him look even more uneasy. "I have a bad feeling. My boy never goes anywhere this late without telling me. He doesn't make a habit of just leaving work either. There's been a weird feeling in the air tonight."

I'm sure even the mundanes could feel all the destruction going on around them. They didn't notice the flaming buildings because they were all Downworlder establishments and were glamoured from the mundane eye.