Chapter 19: A Serious Talk with Aslan

"But Jake, why didn't you come back to the How?" I asked while we were walking on the walls surrounding the castle. He put his arm around my shoulders and stayed silent for a while. We stopped walking and he sat down on the edge. I did too.

"I have to admit, that plan was the most stupid plan in history," he said. "Everything went wrong. I got injured during the fight, and I couldn't fight anymore. So I tried to get to my sister's rooms before it was too late. I made it, but after that I couldn't get out of the castle."

"Are you alright now?" I asked, trying to see where he was hurt. He took my hand.

"I'm alright, it was just my wrist," he said and held up his right hand. I noticed a bandage that I hadn't before.

"Are you sure? I can get Lucy for you, if you want," I said and stood up. "It really doesn't look like you're okay, does it hurt much? I'm sure I could get someone to..."

"Kitten, I'm fine. Seriously," he interrupted and I sat down again. I couldn't stop looking at him.

"Are you sure?" I said again. He hugged me.

"I'm sure," he whispered into my ear. He kept hugging me, and I hugged him back. As we sat like that, I was thinking. I know he said before that he didn't care that I wouldn't age, but... I didn't want him to age if I didn't. I didn't want him to grow old and die without me. I wanted to age with him.

I sighed quietly and leaned back. I looked down on the courtyard over his shoulder, only to see Aslan standing down there. He looked at me, and I understood that he wanted to talk to me. I stood up.

"Jake, I have to go. I'll see you later," I said and turned around. I ran to the nearest tower and down the stairs to the courtyard.

"Emily." Aslan said when I came closer. "Come take a walk with me."

We walked through the castle for a while before he started talking.

"Emily. You are a very powerful creature. Far more powerful than I first thought. But with great power comes a great responsibility," he begun. "You have done many things in the past. Not all of them were good actions."

"I know, Aslan. It's just that..." I interrupted, but he stopped me from continuing.

"What is done is done. There is nothing that can be done to change the past. I wanted to talk to you about your powers, not the past, Emily," he said. I nodded. I understood. I didn't really want to talk about the past either.

I knew I'd done many not so great things and sometimes taken the wrong decisions in the past, but I didn't feel the need to bring it all up again. I knew that it would come a day when I felt the need to share it with someone, but that day was not today.

"Let me see. Can you name the different magical abilities you have, Emily?" Aslan said.

"Elemental magic and shape-shifting," I said and scratched the back of my head. Anything else? "Oh, and Healing. But I'm not very good at that."

"That is very unusual to have that many powers. You are blessed with a unique gift, Emily. You need to make the best out of it," he said. "Now, you do know how to control your abilities?"

"Yes. Partly," I said. "I've had help learning how to control it."

"Good," he said. We stopped and looked out over the edge of the cliff. I could see the city from here.

"Use your powers wisely. Use them for good deeds," he said and looked out over the city too.

"I've done bad things in the past. And used my powers a little to help me with those things," I said. He sighed.