Chapter XXXIV

Lucas's POV

"What a..."

"Mercy!" I interrupt.

"I was going to say jerk," she retorts as she dips her fry in her shake. "God, I love french fries. Like, if you could marry a fry, I totally would."

"Could we not make orgasm noises when we're eating," I gag, "and pay attention!"

"What? You told me everything. Micah gets caught with a boyfriend and this dude makes him beat you up so nobody finds out. Pretty self explanatory."

"Almost. They told him they'd beat up Derek if he didn't beat up us."

"Who's Derek," Mercy asks as she downs the rest of her fries. She eats and eats and doesn't gain a pound. I hate that about her.

"Micah's boyfriend!" I grab her shake. "You are really being no help at all." Before I can pull the shake away, Mercy pinches my arm under my armpit and yanks it out of my hand. "Ouch!"

"Well, don't be a jerk! Trying to come between me and this milkshake, what's wrong with you?"

"You know..." I stop and growl for a second. And then I bury my face in my arms. Why did everything have to get so exhausting?

"Hey," Mercy puts her hand on my shoulder. But when I don't respond, she slides her hand under my forehead and picks my head up. "Are you okay? Do I need to call someone?"

"No, it's just... when did everything in my life start getting complicated? Like, why does everything keep spiraling out of control?"

"I don't know," she sighs, "lately your life has had a more complicated story line then Young and the Restless."

I give her a glare and she pushes my head back down in my arms.

"I'm being serious Mercy. Ever since that party, it's been one thing after another. And Brandon's leaving the hospital in a couple of weeks and he needs a new heart. Now this... I don't know how I'm going to make it?"

"I'll tell you how," she she says as she slurps down the rest of her shake and tosses it in the trash can across the room, "the same way you were in a coma and woke up despite the doctors saying you might not wake up. The same way you got back on the soccer field when the doctors said you shouldn't. The same way you fought for you and Brandon to be together, even though your mom was trying to keep you apart."

"To war!" I shout. Mercy jumps back in her chair and gasps. Her face is so funny that I burst out laughing. After Mercy catches her breath, she joins in.

"You scared me!" She giggles.

"You sounded like you were giving a war speech."

"War speech? You've been reading to many history books."

"Oh shoot," I jump out of my chair, "I forgot. I've got to go see Brandon."

"You got his homework?"

"Yeah."

"And he's helping you with yours?"

I roll my eyes at her "Yes. He is." I grab my backpack and give Mercy a hug before I rush out the door.

"Okay, well tell him I said 'hi'!"

"I will."

I get out of my car and all my books fall out of my bag when I try to sling it on my shoulder. I try to stuff them back in my bag as fast as possible. There's only three hours left after school to visit the hospital and I just spent one and a half of them with Mercy. Half of my things are back in the bag when I grab my sketchbook. So much has happened that I haven't put anything in it since I left the hospital. It feels so weird now, having it in my fingers. I grab it and head towards the hospital.