Chapter:7

Jo

I worked the entire day without seeing either twin. James must of had them out mending fences. The stalls were clean when I went through, Donald and Mickey were also gone. James was saddling his horse, going off with supplies. The farrier came out to trim hooves and make sure they were in top condition.

When I went into the office, I saw a stack of mail sitting right in my desk seat. I picked it up going through it. I wrote checks for bills and had Annie set them out to go to the mailbox. I finished the rest of the stack getting to the bottom envelope. It was handwritten to me. I opened it and kicked back in my chair.

'Dear Ms. Allen,

I am writing to you to inform you of a bull that I personally want to breed with your cows. I am willing to swap bulls with you for a breeding season. My only thing is, I want every heifer that comes from the stock. Please call me with your offer. It expires in two days. Please respond at all costs.'

At the bottom was a name and number. I sent the paper straight through the shredder. If he wants any of my heifers, he's going to have to pay high dollar. I hate this guy. Once a month he sends me a letter wanting to go into partnership. I always shred them. As I was finishing up with the afternoon paperwork the office door opened.

A muffled sound could be heard. A knock came to my door as I logged into my email. "Come in." I yelled. The door opened as I scrolled through the many emails. "Yes?" I asked without looking away from the screen. No answer. I looked up from the screen seeing one of the twins. "Can I help you?" I asked him. He still didn't answer.

I turned the screen off and turned to face him. "Do you need anything?" I asked him.  "How long have you been in the office?" He asked. "Since lunch." I answered trying not to sound sarcastic. "Would you like to go out on a trail ride?" He asked. "I would honestly love to, but I need to go through my emails and make sure the stock books are up to date." I said.

"That's fine. I was just seeing if you were busy or not." He said. "Sorry maybe tomorrow." I said. He gave a light smile before leaving. I felt a tug on my heart before deciding to do that tomorrow. I jumped up from the desk and went out to the barn. "Wait." He stopped turning around. "Still mind if I join you?" I asked. "Not at all." He said.

I got a hackamore from the tack room and went to put it on Sandy. He hasn't been out all week. As soon as he was out of the stall I lifted myself up onto his back slinging a leg over his backbone and centering myself. I gathered the reins up having Sandy go toward the back entrance. Eli, the one that asked me followed.

He then led the way, opening gates and closing them. I could only follow him. He kicked Mickey into a gallop. I had Sandy race after him. Good thing this gelding is a retired quarter mile race horse. Sandy passed Mickey quickly. I stared laughing. I slowed Sandy down halfway across. Then stopped him.

Eli and Mickey came up close. "Where did he come from?" He asked me. "The previous owner had a thing for quarter mile races. Sandy here was his prized racer until he tore a ligament. He then started a ranch and bought a whole bunch of mares. The ones I've got are Sandy's daughters. He sold his breeding mares to a quarter horse ranch for top dollar letting me buy this place to little to nothing." I said.

"Then how did you acquire him and the other horses?" He asked. The man that had the ranch wanted him and the others to stay. I got the mares as they were pregnant with their second foals. With how many new fillies I got this year, I'm going to have to find a different stallion to cover them." I said. "Shouldn't be too hard when you have an eye for finding great in animals that are skin and bones." He said.

"Or someone that needs a roof over their head and a warm bed to sleep in?" I asked. He nodded. "I thank you for that." He said as we let the horses wander over the brush. "After hearing that you and Kent work for your keep, I decided to make it solid and try to keep you two around as long as I can." I said.

"We'll stay until you don't need us anymore." He said. "I'll always need the help. I might expand my horse department and get more beef producing cattle in the near future as the money is there." I said. "Then we'll try to stay as long as we can to help keep this ranch going." He said. I checked the time.

"Looks like it's almost supper time. Are you two joining us tonight?" I asked. "Might. Don't know if Kent is." He said. I honestly wanted to see him. "Race back?" I asked. He chuckled. "I'll lose." He said. "I bet Mickey can surprise ya." I said as I turned Sandy around. As soon as we hit open land, I let Sandy go full out. I looked back seeing Eli and Mickey gaining. I could tell Eli was hesitant about the gate.

I went ahead and let Sandy jump over it. I slowed him as Eli and Mickey went over it. Once at the gravel I had Sandy at a walk. I rubbed his lathered neck before dismounting. Eli came right up beside me. He pulled me to him in a side hug kissing my forehead. Heat filled my cheeks. I honestly hope my emotions stay under check while these two are around.

They are extremely sweet and good.