Heartbeats

When Quinn Fabray was just barely 6 years old, she got the second most important phone call in her life.

"C'mon, Raquel. Put on the dress, you dumbo.' A cackle escaped her dad's throat. Barely audible, the whiskey was just halfway down his throat as the ice cubes in his small glass rinkled forcefully.

"Cut her some slack, Luce. She's not real, remember?"

The sound of her dad's voice had always sent shivers down her spine. She'd never been sure why, maybe it was the way he talked, or the tone he talked in, but it scared her. She was never a fan of scary things.

The little girl barely noticed the ringing of the phone (the dress finally fit, why would she?) or the silent tears that gave away her mother's pain, but she did notice how she was suddenly whisked away from her doll and put in her car seat.

"What- what if-"

"No, Judy. Don't think like that."

If anything, it sounded like forcing to the little girl. She'd heard her friend Emma's mommy and daddy be sad before, and this didn't compare.

''She looks sad" was Quinn's, or Lucy's, first thought when her eyes locked with her mother's. Her cheek seemed very sticky, her tears flowing freely, without holding back. And for that one time, and that one time only, she'd neglected her father's sharp advice. It's okay to cry.

---

"-She's showing major signs. If you'd like to, you can come in now. There's a big chance she's about to wake up, and I'm sure she'd like having someone there when she does."

A steady heartbeat.

Her hand rested on her heart as she listened to Doctor Green's voice, clear as day, even when it felt like a dream. Was she dreaming? Her hand went up and down, her heart slowly but surely gaining speed. The sound of Green hanging up was all Quinn needed to sprint downstairs, she was going to be there when Rachel wakes up.

"Woah, did I just give you the most important phone call in your life or something, young lady?"

You have no idea, Quinn wanted to say. Instead she choked out a fast "It's no time for being funny". Doctor Green flashed a smile at her. It said more than he could ever try to speak in words. It's going to be okay.

His smile faded slowly and Quinn's internal panic woke up a little,
"Miss Fabray, please remember that Rachel's parents are also going to be in the room. She also might have trouble breathing. It's not a beautiful awakening kind of thing, there could be complications. Please," Doctor Green broke eye contact with her and laid his hand on her shoulder, "be aware of that."

"I am, and I will be. But it's Rachel. I need to see her."

The smile on the doctor's face grew a little.

"I understand."

---
this is super short lmao. sorry for that. ALSO, i am s o deprived of achele content. it hUrts