Mind Over Matter

To her surprise, Rachel's hospital room looked a lot more colorful than the last time Quinn had visited. The walls were decorated with handmade cards, courtesy of the glee club. Also, a drawing, made by Brittany. A simple stick figure with long, brown hair, sitting in the grass while a sun was smiling down at her, with at the bottom of the page "Please stop being sad, Rachel, you have a cute smile" written in messy cursive. After a week of surveillance, the hospital had decided to give Rachel a bit more space, Rachel's dads had informed her. She was allowed to leave her room alone, to take a quick walk or get a cup of coffee. Because of this, Quinn wasn't surprised to find a Rachel-less room. 

"Another cup of coffee? Does the hobbit sleep?"

"Santana."

Santana shrugged at the blonde. Everyone at school knew that Rachel Berry was completely off bounds. Quinn hadn't vocalized it, but they knew what the consequences would be if a bad word was uttered. A poor freshman covered in fresh slushie had made that very clear to them.

"I said it in a loving way, Q."

The latina usually accompanied Quinn on her hospital visits. Much like Quinn, true guilt for what happened was eating away at her. She was set on making things right. She wasn't going to change her personality for it, thought, unlike Quinn.

Footsteps were heard in the distance, before swiftly coming to a halt. Quinn turned around to see Rachel. Her eyes looked a bit surprised, but mostly tired.

"Hi."

"I thought you would've given up by now."

Rachel continued walking to her bed, as Quinn and Santana took their seats.

"Well, I've never been a quitter, so..." The latina shrugged.

The singer's face remained neutral as her eyes turned to look at the blonde, who had a small smile on her face.

"I love what you've done with the place." she winked at Rachel.

For just a moment, Quinn swore she saw the corners of Rachel's mouth tick upwards. It gave her that much more hope.

"Wasn't my choice. My daddy is rather fond of decorating."

"I know, Hiram wouldn't shut up about your new kitchen last week." Quinn laughed.

Rachel knew Quinn was here quite a lot, she wasn't a fool, but she didn't know she had contact with her family, let alone her own fathers.

"You talk to my dads?"

Quinn looked guilty for a split second before smiling.

"Well, yeah. They're actually pretty cool, and they give me updates on... you know..."

"If I'm still alive." Rachel said, before Quinn could finish. Santana seemed to sink further into her chair. The blonde swallowed audibly. Visits were usually awkward, so this wasn't something she didn't expect. She was just glad Rachel was finally talking to her, even if a bit bluntly.

"I'm trying, Quinn. I'd try to explain it to you, but you simply wouldn't understand. You may not be able to see my progress, but I can feel it."

Quinn beamed at the girl.

"I do see it, Rach. I'm glad."

-❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈--❈-

"She looks different, Kurt. Still... you can still see the pain. But she looks different, better."

Kurt and Quinn's unlikely friendship had only grown stronger lately. They found out that they had a lot more in common than either of them had ever thought. From a love for literature, to fashion.

"That's great. God, that's so good, Quinn." Kurt put his arms around the blonde. Quinn held on to him tightly, clutching his shirt in her hand. 

Quinn sighed in his embrace. She couldn't even express how relieved she felt. Not only because of Rachel, but also to now have friends she could trust. People like Kurt and Santana, people she loved more than anything.

Kurt was the first to let go, smiling at her as he put a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

"I love you, Quinn Fabray."

Quinn smiled.

"You wanna know a secret, Hummel?"

The boy's ears perked up at that.

"I'm all ears, miss."

"It's actually... Lucy Quinn Fabray."

Kurt smiled and threw his arm around her shoulder.

"That's beautiful. I'm not gonna ask, by the way. My Lucy Quinn."