Chapter 3, part 1: I Will Love You Forever

Chapter 3: Communication

Ken's jaw dropped open. "Have you been able to talk all this time?" No reaction. Damn, he thought, his eyes tearing up. Hope was such a fragile thing, and so fleeting. Buck up, Ken! You didn't sign up for better or acceptable. He took a deep breath. "Have you understood what I've been saying?"

Lu opened her mouth, and gave a sound that was a combination of cough, growl, and clearing the throat. But there were words in it, and Ken listened hard. "Some things," she got out.

Tears did come this time, and Ken didn't care. His Lu was in there! He just needed the patience, courage, and strength to help her come back to him. He swallowed, and cleared his throat. "We're going to make it, beloved. I'll protect you," he said. No matter what it takes.

"I'll protect you," she echoed, in her raspy growl. Then her one eyebrow furrowed, and she said, "You" again in a much more normal voice.

"Hey, we said for better or worse, right?" He was trying to keep it light, afraid he would lose it.

"I will love you forever," she said.

Oh, my god. "You were listening even then?" The tears returned despite his efforts. "Good. Let's get some sleep. In the morning, we'll see if we can get you to walk."

Animals came around again that night, but Ken was more attuned to their presence than before. The skunk came by once, and for that one he stayed still. For the others, he again used the stick to keep them away from the basket.

In the morning, he got her sitting up, and she managed to stay sitting up by herself. Baby steps, Ken had to remind himself. For breakfast, they ate the third sandwich. He spread a mayo packet on it before they ate it, and he could not believe how good it tasted. About halfway through giving her the chewed pieces, Lu started chewing for herself.

If you like what you read, please click the star!