How To Ogle

"I'll be leaving to New York today Alex," Vanessa's father said. "So-"

Vanessa's head swiped up, the partially eaten noodles dangling on her ketchup smeared lips.

"-I need you to do me a favor and look out for your sister," he finished. Throwing Vanessa a disdained look, he said, "Eat like a human being, child."

Vanessa nodded and sucked the rest of the suspended noodles into her mouth. "When are you coming back?"

His brows were knitted together, his cold blue eyes pierced through her like razor blades. He answered, enunciating each syllable, "Three days."

She nodded curtly before averting her gaze to the almost finished plate infront of her. It had miraculously transformed into the most attractive thing in the hall. Despite her solemn expression, she could hardly bear the urge to jump on the table and do a weird dance move.

Alex rolled his eyes, already sensing the elated vibe on his sister's face. "Don't worry a cent dad. I will look after her very well."

Her father nodded and stood up. "I need to leave. Be a good girl Vanessa. And you Alex, no taunting your sister."

Both children nodded diligently.

"Happy tripping dad. I'm going to miss you. " A little.

She crouched down, cuddling the German Shepherd for one last time. "I'm going to miss you, mate. Be a good boy."

The dog barked in response, and licked her till she was enveloped with a thick sheen of saliva. She laughed, wiping her face with her handkerchief.

Buddy ran to the car, his hind legs bent as he jumped through the open window of the police car. It was his thing to do simple stunts before the big game of hunting down criminals with his partner.

She waved as the car sped away, and hadn't stopped even after the car had vanished.

"Cue the act," Alex said standing next to her, "he's already gone."

She sighed, a new sense of dread blossoming inside here.

Looking at her disturbed posture, he threw his hands over her shoulder and pulled her closer. "Don't worry, he's going to be alright. Some crappy meetings and gruesome lectures, that's all."

Lies.

Just like her family, she loved getting into the lives of other people. And in this case, she had sneaked into her father's room in need of cash. And had accidentally found a file of wanted criminals, they would come out from their burrows for a meeting in New York on Saturday night. The day of the meeting her father so happened to be going to. How coincidental!

With her negative response, he continued, "c'mon Vans, down in the dumps doesn't suit you. You got three days, and guess the boon? It's a weekend. Squeeze the juice out for these days."

Wow, what a brother.

"Yes I grant you permission," he stopped and a sinister smile appeared over his solemn expression, "only on one condition."

She gave him a long look. That doesn't sound appealing in any possible way.

"What would that be?"

"Say yes."

"For what?"

He tsked. "My brain is still on booting process. So when I have a good implementation, you will be of beneficence."

She rolled her eyes. "Yes."

"And there comes the nuclear bomb." He whistled lowly as the VW convertible came to an abrupt halt in front of them.