How To Overreact

Cursing and ignoring the hoots and boos she was given from the spectators of Greenwich High, she walked back to her own tent with her head held high. No matter who or what she lost to, she would never look down or walk away.

"A study says that an average person loses in his life approximately fifty four times, you should be glad that you have lost only twice," Marly said, scrolling through her phone.

Vanessa scoffed. "You're supposed to cheer me up as a loyal best friend. Not read some stupid Instagram meme, Marly," she scolded stuffing her bag with her dirty belongings.

Marly looked up from her phone, her eyes narrowed infinitely.

Vanessa added quickly, "We are not going there."

"Sure we are."

It was a bright Sunday morning that twelve years old Vanessa and Marly had tagged along with their fathers to watch them play golf.

They had come across a tennis court at the sports complex and a delighted Vanessa decided to play tennis with an older boy. Apparently, he had defeated her without breaking a sweat.

Vanessa was deeply hurt and had been sulking the rest of the day. No matter what Marly had done to cheer her up, Vanessa had ignored her like she had transformed into a pesky mosquito.

"You know it's okay to lose sometimes," Marly said, clearly exasperated from her friend's bitchy attitude.

Vanessa had been drinking a raw egg, as per her father's request. And with Marly's unfortunate speech, the remaining contents of the bowl were dumped on Marly's head.

That was when Marly had decided that day was the last time she would encourage her beast friend.

"C'mon Marly," Vanessa nudged her grumbling friend. "That was when we were kids."

Marly scoffed but stayed quiet. They waited till the tent was empty, leaving Vanessa, Marly, Reen, a few other volunteers and the coaches to clean the tents.

"How are you going?" Marly enquired, looking at Reen through her glasses.

Reen gave them a small smile. "My boyfriend's waiting."

"Oh," Vanessa said teasingly. "Still the Greenwich guy?"

Reen threw her a questioning look. "Is that even a question?"

"It's ludicrous to flatter for our rivals, honey," Vanessa said, sighing. "Being on a leash is definitely not on my wish list."

"Being in love is not being on a leash."

Vanessa gritted her teeth, containing the sudden wave of anger in her balled fists. "Brazen, what brings you here?" she said without turning around.

When she turned around, it was all it took for her to not stagger. Five chauffeurs and two maidservants, cue her boyfriend, had come to escort Reen. She must be a queen to the Greenwich kids.

Alongside Eric, there were four boys and two girls. Chace Covey, Jared Klyn, Jane Harriet and Bridget Peterson were no strangers to her, but that didn't make them friends either. The other two guys who hovered on either sides of Eric like his shadow, reminded her of serious faced bodyguards. She concluded that she had never seen those faces before.

"Friends," Eric said, shrugging nonchalantly. He wore a polo shirt, his wet hair hauled into a brown mess that went in all directions. His stance of having his hands inside his pocket clearly depicted his degree of boredom.

Marly smiled nervously and whispered to Vanessa, "I don't like where this is going."

"Me neither," she whispered back and announced loudly, "We should be leaving, Marly."

"What's the hurry?" Bridget sneered. "Did you get your asses burnt somewhere in the game? Oops sorry, did I hurt your pride?" She laughed boisterously and Jane joined. It had a close resemblance to the shrill noise of a line being cut.

Bridget's boyfriend, Chace, rolled his eyes.

Finding her triumph card in Chace, Vanessa said, "Already bored of your girlfriend, Chace? How pathetic, perhaps you should try our girls. St. Agnes' girls have fabulous tricks under their sleeves."

Bridget stopped short in her hideous laugh, a raven's caw, midway, her face boiling like a volcano on the verge of exploding. Chace grabbed her into his arm, "Don't mind her, baby. She's just trying to provoke you."

It was clear that all Bridget wanted was Vanessa's heart ripped out from her chest. But Vanessa didn't mind it, most of the girls wanted her dead. Death wishes were routinal to her.

"Cut it out," Eric said, his voice dripping with boredom. "We are not here to fight."

The guys nodded, relieved from the interruption that could have led to a blood bath.

"We'll be having a party at my place tonight, it'll be cool if you guys could come," Jared Klyn, the blondie, announced.

If Vanessa was blind, she could have reasoned otherwise, but unfortunately her perception was as clear as her sanity. Hence, she couldn't ignore the fact that Jared Klyn's blue eyes hadn't moved an inch away from her blushing friend.

Vanessa rolled her eyes and nudged her stone-cold friend. Marly had to blink several times to break out from her trance.

This girl had a lot to learn, Vanessa thought and shook her head.

"Obviously Marly would love to come. Right Marly?" Vanessa declared with a fake smile etched on her otherwise somber face.

"Yeah," she said, smiling.

"Now that we're done here," Vanessa pulled the sweater over her exposed arms, "Please excuse us."

They were almost out of the tent, away from the spawn of devils when Eric spoke, his voice rough and measured. "And you?"

She turned around slowly. "Yes." She smiled. "But after I kick your ass in the finale, Eric Brazen."