How To Raise Charity

"How the hell did they know my middle name?" she shrieked loudly, earning weird glances from the other girls in the cafe.

"Of all things, is that what matter, Vans?" Marly asked, doubtfully.

"They must have been at the match, that day," Reen noted and smiled slyly. "By the way, nice bum there, girl."

Looking at the picture next to her name, Vanessa groaned so loud that the whole cafeteria turned its attention to her. Most of them had smug smiles plastered to their faces. Guess it wasn't a secret anymore.

The picture was taken when she was at the courts on the day of the first match, a side picture. Her legs were spread in a stance of defense, slightly crouched as she aimed her racket. It also seemed that the photographer had the camera focus on her long exposed legs, the tan in perfect mix, not too roasted or not too dark.

Whatever said, she had to appreciate the photographer. Though she was murder him afterwards.

"I look...good," she said flatly. "Ugh, I hate this. This is ludicrous. God forbid parentals from seeing this."

"True that," Grace nodded and frowned. "It's quite pathetic to find them still obsessed over our appearance rather than our true selves."

"Speaks the girl who went batshit crazy when Feathers had complimented her ombre hair," Kate countered, playfully.

The girls broke into a laugh as Grace blushed. When her all time crush, Froy Heather a.k.a Feathers, from Brighton High, had complimented her for the first time, that's when they realized that he saw her in a new light, finally. Soon after they started dating. Happily ever after for her.

Most of her friends had boyfriends, Reen had the Greenwich guy, Grace had Feathers, Kate had a boyfriend who was in college, Marly was on the verge of shooting from the gun and falling on Jared Klyn. So it was highly narrowed down to Jude and herself. Jude sticked to the 'friends with benefits' concept and Vanessa found boys boring.

Vanessa sighed. "We are all just the same. No matter what, any girl would flatten over a little flattering," she said, bitterly and put aside her phone. Suddenly the half eaten pasta on her plate didn't seem very appetizing, she pushed it away to Marly's side. "Here, my treat for you."

Marly scoffed. "What am I? Your dog?"

"Obviously not," Vanessa widened her eyes in disbelief. "I don't feed Buddy with leftovers, it ruins his appetite."

The table roared in laughter and Vanessa smiled at her glaring friend.

"I'm really considering selling you on Amazon," Marly said through gritted teeth.

"I know you love me."

"Um girls," Jude began, her eyebrows knitted into a fine line as she looked down at her phone, "see what Chris has commented."

Even without seeing, Vanessa instantly knew what the bastard would have to say. Christian Jackel was the only boy who she had been interested in, for a span of two weeks, in junior year. But once the charm waned off, not to mention the subtle words that he had to say about her, she ignored him. He didn't care to call back nor did she regret.

"That good for a player with a definite smell of slut," Reen read aloud, anger palpable in her tone. "And man 1024 likes."

"Damn that douche bag."

"You should sue him for this," Jude grilled, poking Vanessa angrily. "Get him arrested."

"And then what?" Vanessa asked, silently. "Dad will never let me play again if he sees these pictures, these obscene comments. I mean look at me. I do look like one."