How To Vanish

Throughout the game, the tough nut was giving her a hard time. His serves reached her in a speed slower than sloths crossing the highway.

Vanessa hated slow. Speed was her game and her opponent knew well to tackle her. She lost two sets but had won the majority, resulting in her winning the game.

As she warmed down, her eyes intently scoured the fields one more time.

"For god's sake, Vanessa." Marly's groan was noticeable even before she arrived. "Forget him please." Marly sat on the grass, next to Vanessa who was lying on the ground, the sun over her face.

"Not so soon, Marly. We have scores to settle."

"Whatever." Marly said, looking around the field just as Vanessa had done earlier.

"Where does this breeze hit?" Vanessa teased. It had been a thing between the girls to objectify their hormones to the wind, sometimes torrential like tornadoes and the other times, a balmy breeze.

She looked around again, another figure in her mind this time. She smiled as she spotted him.

Jared Klyn stood amongst the St. Agnes' girls, his expression deep and serious. He was engrossed in a serious conversation with a group of girls who flaunted and swayed and giggled, in that order, continuously.

Her hands formed a cone around her mouth as she shouted, "Jared!"

Half the court turned their attention to her. Vanessa didn't spare a glance at the over-interested crowd for she was gleaming at the person of interest.

Jared turned to where the two girls stood, the lack of clarity in his face turning into a delighted smile. He waved. Vanessa waved back and since Marly decided to grouse and hide behind her enthusiastic friend, Vanessa raised Marly's hand in a gesture of waving.

Marly pulled back her hand, glaring. "What are you doing?"

"You wait and see." Vanessa smiled as Jared crossed the courts, heading to them.

"I was-"

Vanessa's hand rose, making hard contact with Jared's cheek. There was a sharp inhale of breath coming from Marly's paled face.

Vanessa wasn't the idol of stereotypes, but her hands were small and lean as any girl would have, but they were well known for her dashes and lightening blows. So she was satisfied the impact it would have left on the shocked boy.

Jared staggered a little, his palm caressing the red welt on his cheek. "What the the hell was that for?" he said, his voice timid and confused.

"You don't ditch my friend in a party that way," Vanessa growled. "That's what you get from angry best friends like us."

"Woah," he said, raising his hands in surrender. "I was looking for Marlene the whole time so I could apologize in person rather than in call." As if Vanessa had magically vanished from the scene, he ignored her and turned to Marly, "I'm sorry I couldn't talk to you that night. I was busy since I was the host. Trust me, if I don't keep an eye over my friends, they go bat shit crazy and would've probably turned the place into a bat hole."

Marly laughed softly. "I'm sorry too, on behalf of my friend. She goes bat-shit crazy when I'm upset."

"Yeah," he mumbled, rubbing the sore spot on his cheek gingerly. "I figured that out."

Vanessa who had vanished out of the Marly-Jared world reappeared, making her presence known with a loud cough. "Yes. I am still alive."

Marly blushed in embarrassment.