Bases And Trades : Transformation

Due to problems I currently have, the story will have to be cut short. I will try to get as much of this chapter in as was planned, but I will not talk about mythical creatures. Honestly, aside from very specific things, a lot of their behavior is recorded in folkloric tales. When in doubt about a creature, search in myths and legends. I will still talk about the last chapter, as it is full of pretty rare informations. The creatures mentioned in that last chapter don't appear in folklore for the simple reasons that they started to appear around 1800.

Transformation is a fascinating thing. Like old times alchemists turning lead into gold, or werecreatures changing aspect, the myth of transformation is very well known of our storybooks.

In real life, transformation is really not easy. Although in theory, in one way transformation, you already give something, the more the thing needs to change the more it takes in return.

Masters of transformation are skin wearers. Usually normal humans with a kick for magic, skin wearer often possess an enchanted coat that transform them. The most usuals are boar, wolf, deer, crow and bear.

In those cases, the coat change into skin, transforming whoever was inside to fit it. It's a bit of a trick to avoid having to make a two way transformation spell, so it uses less energy than true were. The skin is only supposed to transform once, but by playing with limits of magic, skinwearer manage to get an object that turn back to it's original form in certain conditions.

It's a one way trades. First if the coat is in contact of skin, it will transform. Then if a condition is respected, it will be back to it's original form.

Most often, pulling on the neck skin of the animal remove the coat, but some use moving water, or any antimagic object really. The energy used to transform back comes from the environment.

In the cases of true were, it's more complex. They use two trade, what to transform, one to transform back. In exchange, they can transform almost whenever they want in theory. But due to the extreme amount of magic that would be used to do that, most also tie it to an environmental event, and the magic that needs to be given is divided by two.

That's why werewolves turn under the full moon, which has a lot of magical energy. Likewise, weretigers, werehyenas and most predators use astrological event to trigger changes.

Some, like werebear, berzerker, use the souls of enemies or allies fallen in battle, which makes the transformation almost costless. Although, in that case, because the transforming were doesn't uses his energy, he has also less control. Berzerkers are known to attack enemies and allies alike.

To illustrate the difficulty of possible transformations, here is a list in order of difficulty.

Changing eye color in the realm of natural and or close to the original color.

Changing eye color to a color found in nature, but not humans.

Changing eye color and or pupil form to something unnatural.

Completely changing visage. Changing sex.

Changing into another human being. Growing nonhuman small features.

Changing coat style into an animal.

True were.

True were with no environmental attachment (which is, to my knowledge, only attainable to pixies and dieties. Perhaps a few other magic heavy creatures could, but I've never seen it)