xi

"That storm is getting closer, do you think Zuko got caught in it?" Nava asked, squinting at the distant lightning. She already knew the answer.

"If he did, my nephew is wise enough to get to safety and wait it out. I trust he will be fine." Iroh said.

He gave her a reassuring smile and she half-heartedly returned it. She sat with him in the shack as the rain started to pelt the rotting wood, some dripping onto the worn floor.

///

The storm didn't let up by nightfall. Iroh had fallen asleep a little while ago and was snoring lightly in the corner. A small fire separated him and Nava, who was sitting on the stoop, her elbow on her knee and her chin in her palm. She counted the seconds between lightning strikes and thunderclaps, trying to distract her buzzing mind from Zuko.

Eventually his figure emerged at the bottom of the hill. Nava stood up, motionless as Zuko and the ostrich horse drew closer. She watched as he tied the animal up beside the other in the smaller of the two shacks and then went up to her. His face was devoid of all emotion as he rested his forehead on her shoulder.

Taking the hint, Nava hugged him, ignoring the wetness of his clothes sweeping through her own. They stood like that for a while, Zuko's shoulders shaking subtly, his sobs unheard over the rain.

"I'm glad you're okay," she said quietly. "I'll make you some tea and you can get changed and warm up, alright?"

She pulled back and held him at arm's length, waiting for his answer. Zuko ducked his head but nodded anyway.

Nava left him alone while she gathered the proper supplies and boiled the teapot. After he changed into dry clothes and sipped his tea, they sat silently in front of the fire, their shoulders touching.

Eventually Nava got up and unrolled her sleeping mat, settling down a minute later.

She was still awake when Zuko unrolled his mat, surprised when he set it down beside hers. He laid down and Nava didn't dare to move; she could barely bring herself to breathe. She could feel his body heat and nearly jumped out of her skin when his forehead pressed against her shoulder-blade. Eventually his breathing evened out and she willed herself to relax, allowing the storm to lull her to sleep.

///

A few days later, the trio was trekking along on their ostrich horses, Zuko and Nava on one, and Iroh on the other. Nava had wanted to stay put a little longer, to give Iroh more time to recover, but both men were adamant to get moving again, so she relented. Now, however, the former general was trying, and failing, to mask his pain.

"Maybe we should make camp," Zuko said.

"No, no, do not stop because of me!" Iroh said. "I'm sure I'll be fine!"

Nava rolled her eyes but remained silent.

So they continued on, only for Iroh to start dramatically wailing in pain. With a huff, Zuko brought them to a stop and got off the ostrich-horse. Iroh slid off his steed and settled himself on a large rock, rubbing his wound gingerly.

They were hardly able to rest for more than a minute before the horses' heads whipped around to look behind them. One of them nervously shuffled its feet.

"What now?" Iroh said, clearly annoyed.

Zuko got into a defensive position as Nava drew her bow and notched an arrow. A herd of rhinos burst from the trees. Atop the rhinos were five burly men, each with a distinct weapon. Nava immediately recognized the Yuyan archer, tattoo and all. Her bow faltered slightly as the men surrounded the three of them.