xvii

this chapter contains descriptions of blood/injuries

The Earth Kingdom palace was just as grand as Nava thought it would be. Earthy tones contrasted with gold embellishments that glittered in the sun.

"Of all the times I imagined myself here, I always thought it would be as a conqueror... instead, here we are, the Earth King's personal guests, to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."

"It sure is, Uncle," Zuko said cheerfully. He looked over at Nava, who was staring up at the palace doors: large, ornate, stone goliaths. He took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She returned it timidly. His gaze wandered to her back. "Was it really necessary to bring your bow? What if they confiscate it?"

"Then I guess I'll have to add 'an enemy of the Earth Kingdom' to my list of offences, so hopefully they won't. It's like my safety blanket."

Iroh shushed them as they came up to the doors. A butler greeted them when they knocked. He bowed deeply and introduced himself as Shang. He escorted them to a large room overlooking the garden within the courtyard. Nava noticed a bead of sweat on his brow.

"The Earth King will be with you shortly," he said before ducking out of the room.

The air in the sitting area was thick, Nava noted as she looked around. The windows were locked, there were no vents within reach, so the only way out was the door they came in, which struck her as odd.

They waited for five minutes.

Then fifteen.

Then thirty.

"What's taking so long?" Zuko asked after forty-five minutes.

"Maybe the Earth King overslept," Iroh said with a shrug.

Less than a minute passed before a group of Dai Li agents entered and surrounded their table.

"Something's not right..." Zuko muttered.

"It's tea time," came a cold voice.

Azula entered the room, dressed in black and green. She had her ever-present smirk on her face as she regarded the three of them.

The Prince immediately got to his feet. "Azula!" he spat.

"Have you met the Dai Li?" she went on as though he hadn't spoken. "They're earthbenders but they have a killer instinct that is so... firebender. I just love it!" she looked to Nava. "Oh, and you're still travelling with the Yuyan girl. How classy."

Iroh poured himself a cup of tea.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?" he said casually.

"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle," Azula said, examining her nails.

"It's more of a demonstration, really." Iroh took a sip of his drink and Zuko suddenly grabbed Nava, pulling her towards the ground and using his body to shield her.

As soon as they hit the floor, Iroh opened his mouth and unleashed a torrent of fire upon the Dai Li.

"Let's go!" Zuko shouted, getting to his feet and pulling Nava along. He shot a blast of fire through the wall and dashed out to the hallway, followed closely by his uncle.

Two of the Dai Li ran after them, extending their hands and sending the finger pieces of their rock gloves towards them. The trio turned the corner before they could hit and the rocks were embedded in the wall.

They ran until they came to a dead end and, gesturing for them to stand back, Iroh summoned a bolt of lightning and shot it through the wall. He jumped out of the hole he created before the smoke cleared and landed on a hedge below.