xiii

The streets of the outer ring were a lot more crowded than Nava had anticipated. She stuck close to Zuko's side, grabbing onto his sleeve, afraid to be swept away by the waves of people.

It was loud, with merchants yelling, people talking and laughing, and even some distant crying. It all felt like too much, and Nava could already feel the beginnings of a headache.

Iroh, who had disappeared from their side a minute earlier suddenly re-appeared carrying a large vase with different coloured flowers in them.

"What's that for?" Zuko asked, eyeing the plants with distaste. He seemed to finally notice that Nava was gripping his sleeve, because he wordlessly removed her hand to loop it through his arm so she was instead holding onto his elbow

"I just think it will be nice to watch something blossom during our time here," Iroh said, looking up from the flowers to the two of them. "You never know what might happen."

"This city is a prison. I don't want to make a life here," Zuko said, pointedly avoiding his uncle's gaze. Nava's arm suddenly felt very heavy in his and he felt the tips of his ears get hot.

"Life happens wherever you are, no matter if you want it to or not. Now come on, I've found us some jobs and we start this afternoon; however, the owner only needs two employees at one time, but he's agreed to let the three of us rotate shifts every week."

Nava and Zuko glanced at each other. She snatched the vase from Iroh's arms and smiled widely.

"Alright, well I'll see the two of you at home later! I'll try and scrounge up some dinner and we'll eat when you get back," she said and disappeared into the crowd of people before Zuko could intervene.

The Prince glared at the back of her head as Iroh shrugged.

"Well I guess that settles that. Let's go, we don't want to be late!"

///

Nava stood on her tip-toes to see over the heads of the civilians as she walked. She could see the apartment complex in the distance and slunk her way through the crowd, holding the vase close to her chest. She made it about halfway there before she collided with something firm. Stumbling back, an apology was most of the way out of her mouth when she recognized the person she had ran into.

"Oh, hi Jet," she said.

"Miyu! I didn't think we'd ever run into each other again, this place is so crowded. Where are Lee and Mushi?" Jet said.

"They found us jobs at a tea shop somewhere, but I don't start until later, so I'm headed to our new apartment."

"Let me walk you there, there are some roguish people around here, you never know what might be hiding around the corner."

"Oh, sure. Thanks," Nava said and resumed walking. Jet ambled beside her, hands stuffed in his pockets.

"How long have you been with Lee and Mushi?" he said casually.

"I'm not quite sure. I think just over five or six months?"

"So, you would say you know them pretty well?"

"I-I guess so. Why are you asking?"

There was a shift in the air and suddenly Jet grabbed Nava by the collar, dragging her into an alleyway and pinning her to the wall. He clutched her wrists in one hand hard enough that she nearly winced in pain. The vase dropped to her feet, but miraculously did not break. Nava felt bile rise in her throat. She had to resist the urge to scream.

"So you know they're firebenders," Jet hissed. "You all are Fire Nation posing as refugees, aren't you?"

"Do I look Fire Nation to you? Even if we were, what could we possibly gain from pretending to be refugees, Jet?" Nava said through gritted teeth. Her brain was screaming at her to get out of there. She yanked her hands free and pushed on his chest to shove him backwards into the other wall. Putting her arm across his windpipe and pulling an arrow from her quiver, she pointed it at his eye. "If you ever grab me like that again, I'll cut your tongue off and shove it down your fucking throat, do you understand me?"