xxvi

Zuko woke Nava with a kiss the next morning. She hummed against his lips, smiling tiredly.

"We're getting ready to leave now," he said. He was on his stomach beside her, supporting himself on his forearms. After their first night in the beach house, they pushed their sleeping mats together. "I wanted you to sleep as long as possible. You didn't come to bed until late last night."

"I had a bath to relax," Nava said with a yawn. 

They went to share another kiss, but the door slammed open and Sokka stomped in.

"Let's go, sleepyheads!" he shouted. "We have to leave in the next fifteen minutes if we want to make it in time!"

Zuko got to his feet and Nava sat up, rubbing her eyes. When she opened them again, Sokka was gone and Zuko was stuffing things into a bag. She got up to help him and they worked in silence for a few minutes before Nava spoke,

"You know, I've been doing a lot of thinking since our conversation after the Boiling Rock," she said idly.

"About what?" Zuko asked. He glanced over at her but didn't stop packing.

"About how I feel about you. And us."

"And?"

"I think you're really committed to changing for the better. I'm proud of you, Zuko. You're finally on your path. I've been thinking about this since the night we... you know... and I decided that I love you. I really do. And I want to rebuild the world with you once this is all over."

She watched Zuko slowly set his bag on the floor and turned to face her. His face was impassive and she was suddenly worried that she had said the wrong thing. However, Zuko took her gently by the face and kissed her slowly, passionately. Nava smiled against his lips and pulled him closer to her. Before they could get much farther, Sokka reappeared in the doorway and startled them apart.

"Have you guys seen Aang? We can't find him anywhere," Sokka asked.

"I haven't seen him since last night. He was meditating on one of the balconies," Nava said as she tried to play off that she wasn't just making out with Zuko, who was suddenly very concerned with the contents of his bag.

"We found some footprints on the beach leading to the water, but that's the only clue. Katara suggested we all split up to look for him. Toph has called dibs on going with Zuko and Katara is going with Suki."

"Why does Toph want to go with me?" Zuko asked.

"She said it's her turn for a life-changing field trip."

"Well I guess you're stuck with me, Sokka," Nava said with a shrug. "Let's check the trees around here, maybe he went for a late-night hike."

An hour and no found Avatars later, they gang regrouped back at the house, looking sullen.

"I'm assuming you didn't find Aang either," Sokka said.

"No, it's like he just... disappeared." Zuko said.

"Wait... has anyone noticed Momo is missing too?" Toph piped up.

"Oh no," Sokka gasped. "I knew it was only a matter of time: Appa ate Momo!" he ran over to the bison and lifted his lip, trying to peer into his mouth. "Momo, hang in there, I'm coming for you, buddy!"

"Sokka, Appa didn't eat Momo," Katara said calmly. "He's probably with Aang."

"That's just what Appa wants you to think!" Sokka said hysterically. He opened Appa's mouth enough to climb inside, his legs flailing wildly.