xxvii

(some mature themes ahead, only briefly)

When Zuko entered his and Nava's tent following the reunion with his uncle, he was overcome with love and affection for her upon seeing her sleeping form. She was on her stomach, head buried under her pillow, and one arm extended out beside her, like she was reaching for something.

He knelt beside her and gently pulled the pillow from over her head. She stirred and opened her eyes, squinting up at him. A sleepy smile crossed her features.

"Hey," she said. "How did it go?"

Nudging her over, Zuko climbed into the bag beside her and pulled her towards him.

"It went fine," he said. He brought a hand up and idly stroked her cheek. He leant down and lightly kissed the scar tissue under her bad eye. "You're so beautiful," he whispered. "I'm so glad you stayed with me, even when I was at my lowest. You're one of the best things that's ever happened to me."

Nava smiled at that, so wide that the dimples above her chin appeared.

"Because of you, I got to become something more than just a thief," she said. She stretched up to kiss him deeply, threading her fingers through his hair. His hands trailed down her back, coming to a stop on her tailbone, where he fiddled with the hem of her shirt. Carefully, his hand snaked under her shirt and went along her skin, ghosting over the scar from Zhao, eventually pulling the top over her head and tossing it aside.

Zuko moved so he was over top of her, holding himself up on his forearms. He stared down at her, her flushed face, smiling eyes, and her red lips that were slightly parted.

"I'm so in love with you," he breathed and leant in to kiss her again.

A laugh bubbled up from her chest.

"I'm so in love with you too, Zuko," she said fondly. "But we should probably go catch up with everyone else, before they start suspecting any shenanigans."

Zuko buried his face in the crook of her neck and sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he said against her skin. Then he leaned back and stole another kiss. "Okay, let's go."

He left her, so she could freshen up and then joined everyone else outside of Iroh's tent for breakfast.

The ex-general greeted Nava with a hug when she approached.

"It is so good to see you again, Nava," he said, and then examined her eye with a frown. "I am sorry you got caught in the middle of our family issues and were hurt as a result."

"It's okay, Iroh," Nava said earnestly. "It's a cool story to tell. What have I missed?"

"We were just about to discuss who will be going where once the comet comes. I will be staying here to take back Ba Sing Se."

"Is that why you gathered the members of the White Lotus?" Suki asked.

"Precisely," Iroh turned to Zuko. "You must return to the Fire Nation so that when the Fire Lord falls, you can claim the throne and restore peace and order. But Azula will be there, waiting for you."

"I can handle Azula," Zuko said.

"Not alone. You'll need help."

"You're right. Katara, will you come with me to put my sister in her place?"

Katara smiled at that. "It would be my pleasure."

"And Nava," Zuko went on. "Will you come as well?"

Nava nodded. "Anything to see the moment Azula realizes she's been beat."

"What about us?" Sokka interrupted. "What's our destiny today?"