1.0

" You can'ttrust anyone in this world, Peter

" You can't
trust anyone in this world, Peter. "

It was late. Almost too late.

Rowan, who had surpassed the hours where her dad and Natasha sat in the living room watched reruns of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air until one in the morning, lied awake in her bedroom. Despite the cup of tea and repeatedly punching herself in the face method, she couldn't seem to find peace. It was bothering her, her insomnia that it. It hadn't been this bad since the fight before Ultron, the intense amounts of stress toying with her sleeping schedule immensely.

And now that she knew she would have to put up a fight against her best friend (of whom she's currently mad at), her body decided to produce intense amounts of energy at the most unnecessary of times.

"Hey."

Suddenly, as she was too caught up in her own thoughts, a deep, almost quivering voice startles the girl, making her jump up, her arm outstretching towards the intruder, a glowing purple haze misting off her hands. Peter, who had mistakenly snuck up on her, jumps back with raised hands, his chocolate brown orbs wide with fear.

"I come in peace!"

"Shit, Spidey-" Rowan breathes, placing her hand over her heart, "anyone teach you how to knock?"

"I-um- I'm sorry?" Peter stammers out, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

The boy, who had reluctantly agreed to come back with Tony and Rowan to spend a few days at the HQ (for reasons Rowan did not know. Peter was sworn to secrecy by her father) and it was just his second night here. Rowan hadn't really seen him around much, though. It was either he was busy with her father or nagging Happy, and Rowan, who had unintentionally busied herself with extra hours of training and spending several hours in the lap pool burning off the surplus calories her junk food-based diet provided, made sure they had no interaction whatsoever.

It wasn't because she didn't find him charming... or cute. Because believe me, she did. And that's exactly the reason why she hides behind pillars and doorways whenever he passes or takes her plate up to her room to have her own private dinner date with Netflix; because well, she felt something for him. Yesterday, as he talked about his struggles of finding a place in this world, she felt herself drawn in; almost as if his words poked at the dulling fire in her heart. She never related to someone her age so much. And it scared the living hell out of her.

"Did you need something?" Rowan asks softly.

"Oh! Uh- no. I mean-I was just uh- getting a glass of water and I heard you and-" Peter seemed so unsure of himself, almost flustered. Rowan didn't know why. Maybe it was the fact he was in the same room as a girl or maybe, just maybe, he felt something for her too. It was a silly thought, merely one of the girl's fantasies and she scolded herself for believing it.