-6-

[UNEDITED]

Luna doesn't hear from Alex 'til lunch break.

She was in their usual spot in the bleachers eating her lettuce-wrapped grilled chicken with vinaigrette dressing when her phone, taking his place beside her, dings and vibrates. When she sees that it was from Alex, she instantly puts her food down on the brown paper bag that it came with in order for it not to unfurl and spill over, wipes her hands down her jeans-cladded lap, and taps on the notification on the screen, unlocking her phone.

alex s: heyyy luney tunes, im so sorry i wasnt able to pick you up this morning or send a text

Another message from him comes through with another ding before she could think of a reply. She scrolls down to read it.

alex s: i just woke up cos im feeling super sick :(

Seeing that, Luna practically deflates with relief. He was okay - well, not really for he wasn't feeling well - but she meant nothing bad happened to him. Maybe it's a little irrational for her to think that something had, but her paranoid self can't help it sometimes. Although she wishes she wasn't, she was an overthinker.

Now able to relax, she switches her attention back to her phone and on Alex. It was currently 12:06 pm; he must be really out of it because it isn't like him to wake up so late. Alex was the most-morning person a morning person could be while she was the exact opposite.

aw :( thats ok, how r u holding up tho? whats gotten u sick?

Not half a minute after she sends him a reply, her phone lights up and vibrates again.

alex s: u. ur unrelenting bs i have to keep up with everyday has finally gotten to me 🤢🤮

Without intending to, Luna snorts after reading his text; she quickly slaps a hand to her mouth and chuckles at how ugly it sounded. With a loose grin on her face, she brings her thumbs to skim over the letters on her phone's keyboard. They engage into their usual banter, exchanging texts back and forth.

at least u still got ur humor ! hopefully ur illness kills u (not) 🤪

alex s: ouch, my machismo is deeply wounded. do i really look the type of dude that'd die by a fever?

do u want me to lie or tell u the truth?

alex s: lie to me

then no, i think u'll survive it

alex s: ha, youre funny

Luna smiles, at ease, and sets her phone down. This is why Alex is her best friend - not only was he the person she could cry to, he was also the person that could make her laugh for hours on end; he was a great distraction from everything. Speaking of distracting herself though, at the back of her head, the memory of this morning -  Nathan - tried to resurface but she immediately drowns it out. She didn't want to think of it at all.

Her phone dings and breaks her reverie once more. No surprise, it was still from Alex.

alex s: hey

She rolls her eyes in good-nature, composing a reply.

stop texting im eating

alex s: :(

ur so clingy i think u might be in love with me

She chuckles to herself, awaiting what he'll say. He always got awkward whenever she'd tease him about being secretively in love with each other; she can't blame him, it was weird to even entertain the idea. They're as platonic as platonic can be.