-10-

[UNEDITED]

Mrs. Dela Torre, much to Luna's silent aversion, suggested that Nathan come with her and her brother to look after Coco.

"I haven't finished preparing the food and decorating the house," She explained with a savvy smile, "I don't want Nathan to just be here and do nothing while I go all over the place."

Luna volunteered to help her, she really persisted, almost pushed for it, but the older woman waved her off, telling her she'll be able to handle it just fine. Nathan, too, tried talking to his abuela in Spanish, his tone also a bit pleading but Mrs. Dela Torre just laughs, not acknowledging what he said before sending the three of them off. Luna catchers her in the act of sending her grandson a wink.

Luna may be young but she definitely was not born yesterday; she knew what her neighbor was trying to do. With her knowing looks and her 'excuses' on having her grandson tag along with River and her, it was obvious she was trying to spark something here. Sorry to disappoint Mrs. Dela Torre, but there was so much more to the picture than she thinks. If she only knew the situation, maybe she wouldn't have put them in one.

Currently, Luna was all nerves, like the smallest thing could make her jump - she felt so restless in her own home because Nathan Trinidad was here, sitting on her living room couch with his hands stuffed in his blue jeans. Silence shrouded them - the only noise in the air was coming from outside where her brother was laughing and the dog was barking. River called 'first dibs' on playing with Coco.

She gingerly shifts in her seat opposite him, unsure of what to do or say so she just fidgets with her fingers, perplexed. She was hoping but also not hoping that he'd say something to start a conversation. But what would they even talk about?

With an inward sigh, she runs a finger down her jaw. It's like she couldn't escape him this past week; he was everywhere even though she really wished he wasn't. It was too humiliating for her to see him, especially after what happened yesterday. Her heart sinks remembering it.

Nathan, with his lips pursed, was practically thinking the same thing - from the awkward tension in the vast room breathing down his neck to noticing how frequent they've been running into each other for the past few days.

When his mind wanders back to the day previous' events, he felt the same guilt shooting up his chest. It suddenly felt hot and stuffy and he wishes he could stand up and join Luna's younger brother outside for some air.

But, instead, he leans forward, places his elbows above his knees, and laces his fingers together, trying to sidetrack his thoughts. "I didn't know you were neighbors with my grandma," He states, catching the distraught girl's attention.

Blinking, she nods, "Yeah, I have been for a few years now," She tilts her head slowly. "For what it's worth, I didn't know you were her grandchild," She reconciles with a small smile. Lightened, he chuckles a bit.

"I also didn't know you were Spanish," She thinks out loud, clearing her throat. She really didn't - she knew he was a person of mixed race, but she always assumed he was Latino, not Hispanic. Nathan nods, looking down at his long fingers. "Really? What did you think my last name was then? Trinidad doesn't sound so American to me," He teases, squinting an eye.

She conceals her smile, mildly amused, "Yeah, I thought it was a Japanese last name," She quips. He shakes his head but the grin on his face was unmistakable.

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I will say that our food will not. I'll actually fight you if you disagree," He warns, feigning seriousness. She puts her hand up, chuckling slightly, "No, no, I believe you- your grandma's always sending us food. River and I practically inhale them,"