˗ˋˏ mario kart ˎˊ˗

Eras: Fever because why the hell not

A/N: lowercase intended

word count: 1440

spencer and ryan were lying around spencer's living room on an uneventful sunday afternoon.

"wanna play mario kart?" spencer asked, breaking the silence that was blanketed over the two.

"spence, we aren't eight anymore," ryan said. in actuality, ryan fucking loved to play mario kart in his free time, even though he was a "sophisticated" eighteen-year-old.

"aw, come on," he whined. "we haven't played in so long! i'll even make a bet with you!"

the mention of a bet piqued ryan's interest. "a bet? what'll that entail?"

spencer had to think a bit hard about it since he was pretty broke and wouldn't be able to give ryan any money if he lost. "how about if i win, you have to ask out brendon," he teased.

yes, ryan had a massive schoolgirl crush on his hyperactive friend, brendon boyd urie.

"what if i win?" ryan asked.

"then i'll ask out jon," spencer sighed.

yep, spencer had a huge crush on the local pothead, jonathan jacob walker.

"deal!" ryan exclaimed. "you're setting everything up, by the way. i'm your guest," he said with a shit-eating grin, earning him an exaggerated groan from spencer.

once spencer had everything set up and plugged in, he handed a wiimote to ryan.

"okay, so," he started as he adjusted the vs settings, "all thirty-two courses in order, one-hundred-fifty cc, karts only, and suck-ass items." he proceeded to the next screen so they could pick their character.

"dibs on king boo!" ryan shouted like a child, prompting spencer it quirk an eyebrow. "what? he's the best one!"

"uh huh, sure," spencer nodded as he chose toadette.

"you give me shit for choosing king boo, but you pick toadette?"

"shut your mouth," spencer snapped as he chose the booster seat kart.

ryan scoffed playfully at spencer's god awful choices and chose the offroader kart.

spencer hit the next button, and both of the boys chose the ability to drift. hitting the next button once more, spencer chose mario circuit and confirmed his choice, thus beginning the rivalry.

✵✵

"fucking bullshit!"

"kiss my ass, smith!"

✵✵

"how the hell did you pass me?"

"shortcuts, my friend."

✵✵

"special delivery!"

"how am i getting all of the blue shells? i set it on the strategic item setting for a reason!"

✵✵

they were on the final race.

rainbow road.

ryan was ahead of spencer but only by two points. all he had to do was win or place above spencer on this course.

the house was almost silent, the only sound heard throughout the house was the ticking down of the start time while lakitu silently counted down with it. one and a half seconds into the countdown, both boys pressed the 2 button to give themselves a small boost.