Chapter 25

Inakyat na ng nurse si Agot sa taas and help her to shower and change fresh clothes the she requested na dalhin siya ulit sa baba.

Agot: you can leave me now.

Nurse: but Mrs. Martinez—

Agot: I'm just going to talk to my husband.

Nurse: (hesitant to leave Agot)

Agot: (wheeled herself towards Albert's home office)

Albert: (nakaupo sa couch, nakapagpalit na siya ng damit, umiinom)

Agot: (open the door then wheeled herself in)

Albert: (drink brandy straight from the bottle)

Agot: Albert.

Albert: (still holding the bottle and just look at Agot)

Agot: I'm really really sorry. (Wheeled herself papalapit kay Albert) I was feeling miserable, alone, unloved, helpless I don't know what to do and think anymore I just snapped.

Albert: you are not unloved Agot. Marami kaming nagmamahal sayo but the past months tinataboy mo kami, you are making it hard for us to love you.

Agot: who would love me in my situation?

Albert: your daughter loves you, mommy, my siblings most especially me Agot. I love you so much that it hurts.

Agot: but you're spending a lot of time at the office. You and Alexa have your own world. I'm left behind alone on my own.

Albert: (look at Agot incredulously) are you telling me you're jealous of our daughter? Of course I have to make time for her. She already felt guilty of your accident I don't want her to feel neglected. As for spending a lot of time at the office because it's my escape. Work is my consolation. No matter what I do, no matter how I tried so hard but you've become unreachable Agot.

Agot: (crying)

Albert: you've change, I don't know you anymore. No matter how I try to understand and reach you I always end up on a dead end. It frustrates me and lashed out at you, nasasaktan na kita and when you're hurt, I'm hurting also so to avoid that I work work work and work.

Agot: is that why you—you have an affair with your secretary?

Albert: (stand up look at Agot) where did you get that idea? That's ridiculous! I maybe guilty of a lot of things but not being unfaithful. Not before and definitely not now. Joy is happily married with two kids. There's nothing going on between us except work.

Agot: it's just that you seem so close.

Albert: she's been working for me for so many years, even before she married. It's natural we became friends but nothing more.

Agot: (hiccups)

Albert: (tahimik lang, hold his head na parang hinihila hila hair niya)

Agot: (silent only, don't know what to say)

Albert: (look at Agot) Sorry if you're being tied down on that chair because of me. Sorry if I haven't made you feel love, if I fall short on how I am supposed to love you. I'm sorry if I forced to marry me and  I have not been the husband that I should be. But most of all sorry for all the hurts I've caused you and for making you miserable.

Agot: (crying again)

Albert: (take a deep breath, pilit wag maiyak) my logical mind's telling me to set you free. To stop hurting you and making you miserable but I can't live without you, I'd be lost without you. (Cupped Agot's face) but now I'm setting you free. (Naiyak na) if you want sole custody of Alexa, I won't contest it but you will have my support. I just want you to be happy, to have your smile back and I will be content. I hope one day you can forgive me for the wrong doings I've done to you. (Kiss Agot sa lips) You will forever have my heart for you are the only woman I've ever love. Goodbye, sweetheart. (Stand up then dali dali lumabas ng office, wiping his tears)