CHAPTER EIGHT

"Okay, can I be real for a second?" Mack said in probably the most serious tone he's ever used in his life. He waited until he had the full attention of the table before he continued, "I honestly do not see the problem with pineapple on pizza. There I said it."

Rachael shrugged good-naturedly, "I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I'm not against the idea."

"Rachael, sweetie, you're just being nice," Ricky placed his hand over hers before looking Mack straight in the eye. "Anyone who puts fruit with tomato sauce is a monster and I will never associate with them."

After a slight pause Mack leaned over and nudged David in the side. "Looks like we know what pizza to order now."

David forced a brief smile before rededicating his focus to the condensation sliding down his glass of water. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Mack and Ricky share a look, but he ignored it, letting the three members who felt up to conversation talk about their day at school. Mack blabbed on about something funny that happened in phys ed, and David stared out the window.

He wasn't quite sure why he was still sitting in the booth of a diner instead of wrapped in a cocoon of blankets, drowning out the world at home. He knew it was secretly a "cheer David up" gathering, and he didn't really want to be a part of it. But he hadn't had the energy to fend off Mack when he had practically kidnapped him after school, dragging him to his truck and bringing him here for this impromptu get together.

In the next moment, a blonde was sliding into the booth next to David. "Hey guys! Sorry I'm late."

"Hannah!" Mack sounded completely surprised at her showing up, even though he had been the one to invite her. "Oh my goodness, are you okay? Did it hurt?"

She adjusted her sitting position and picked up a menu, "Did what hurt?"

"When you fell from heaven." Mack's concerned expression quickly morphed into a giant stupid grin.

She blinked once, "...did you just call me Satan?"

David actually choked on his spit and let out a loud laugh that no one had been expecting, least of all him. Hannah snickered at his reaction, his sudden laughter super contagious, and it caused everyone to join in as well.

"Oh my gosh," David muttered once he had settled down, giving his head a shake.

"Hannah," Mack tried to pout, but he couldn't even fake it when his best friends mood had shot up so drastically. "Be gentle with me."

Her jaw was loose as she laughed, "You insulted me, remember?"

"I'm just glad you got Potosky to crack," Ricky smiled. "It was kind of freaking me out. I would've taken any emotion at this point, really."

Hannah's brows furrowed slightly, "Yeah?" David met her eyes for a moment and simply shrugged, the look on his face was enough for her to know not to pry.

Mack rubbed his hands together, "Well, no bad day a slice of Za can't fix, I always say."

"You've literally never said that before," David said, his first full sentence since that morning. "You're just trying to impress Hannah by acting like you came up with 'Za'."

"And," Mack lifted his eyebrows, "Tell him how well it's working, Hannah."

She let out a small chuckle, "So well."