CHAPTER TWELVE

"HONESTLY I'M STARTING to understand why Britney shaved her head."

"I feel she was going through a lot more than you are," Mack chided as they walked to their last class of the day. "That was a time for her, you know?"

"I just feel bad, because I laughed along with everyone else when it happened. But I get it now. Like, I'm there."

Mack fought back a grin, giving his friend a pat on the shoulder. "Hey, but you know what? She's doing a lot better. She's making a comeback."

"Yeah," David bobbed his head seriously. "What an inspiration."

"If Britney can get past 2007, then you can get through this."

"All while keeping my usual charm and charisma."

"Ah yes," a new voice interjected, and the two turned to see Ricky approaching them. "You are the prime example of charisma."

"Thanks Rick, I've always thought so," David answered, having decided to actively work on having a better attitude towards the guy who, ultimately, was doing him a favor. Even if most of the time it didn't feel like it.

Ricky chuckled, "Sorry to interrupt you guys, but I was just going to say we should meet up after school for... our thing."

"You emphasizing the word only makes it seem creepier."

Throwing his hands up, Ricky sighed, "I'm trying, okay?"

David laughed, "Nah, all good, man. Where do you want to go?"

"Might as well hit that diner again."

Mack made a huffing sound, "But we always go there!"

"You know," David scrunched up his face, "I think we've only actually invited you once. It's your own choice to come."

"But you always end up looking like an idiot, so do I really have a choice?"

"You—"

"No need to fight, boys." Ricky interrupted. "For today's lesson we actually need to be at a business establishment that sells food and drink."

David blinked. "Why do you feel the need to talk like that?"

"So the diner it is!" he concluded. "We'll meet you there at four." He started to leave but quickly caught himself, turning back, "Oh, and wear a white shirt."

The two friends watched Ricky disappear down the hallway.

"He's going to make me work on my table manners, isn't he."

"Yup."

"Aw, crap."

⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈ ⋈

If there was one thing that Richard Santos was a little extra about, it was table etiquette. His family had been fairly strict on proper manners, and since his dad was kind of a big dog in the business world, fancy restaurants with fancy people wasn't out of the norm for him.

If there was one thing that David Potosky had really never given a second thought to before, it was table etiquette.

So as you could imagine, the two of them were clashing pretty hard.