CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

"DUDE, DOES MY HAIR look okay?"

Mack turned from the closet, looking at David with a stupid grin, "I feel like that's something I honestly never expected to come out of your mouth."

"Shut up," David said half-heartedly, staring at his reflection disdainfully. He had been fiddling with his unruly locks for far longer than any guy should. It was ridiculous.

The big day had finally arrived. Within the next few hours, David's fate and future happiness would all be on the line, weighing on the most stressful dinner he would ever attend.

In a silly way, it felt like his whole life had led up to this moment.

In another silly—but at the same time awful – way, it felt like if this dinner went horribly, the rest of his life would be a giant, miserable pool of regret. Or something like that.

So of course he had called for back up.

Dutifully, Mack had shown up at the Potosky household at four o'clock sharp, with his Bluetooth speaker and pump up playlist in tow. Since his arrival they had been blasting Mack's game day warm up tunes and David had been trying not to throw up while he showered and got himself ready.

His best friend had been unusually supportive and encouraging throughout, though it probably had more to do with David's obvious nerves than Mack suddenly being nice to him. He was a bundle anxiousness as he walked around shirtless, too scared to get dressed in case he sweat through his fancy clothes.

"You look great, buddy. Just put on some more deodorant," Mack recommended, picking up a black dress shirt from David's collection. You couldn't go wrong with black, he figured.

"Fine," David sighed, giving up on his hair and taking his friends suggestion. He paced the room a couple times, bobbing his head to the heavy beat that was thumping through the air. He could do this, he could so totally do this. It was just a date.

Mack moved to lay across the bed and his eyes followed David back and forth. "Want me to quiz you again real quick before you have to go?"

David glanced at the clock, knowing he had to leave soon if he wanted to guarantee punctuality. But he couldn't afford to screw this up, so he nodded quickly, "Sure."

"What should you not talk about?"

David slid the dark shirt over his arms, buttoning from the bottom as he listed, "Video games, my dislike for school, and how I have no idea what I'm doing with my life?"

"Good call," Mack agreed. "What compliments should you give?"

"Oh, what a lovely home," David said in a posh voice, "This dinner is delightful. Congratulations on your successfulness at being super rich."

Mack smirked, "I was thinking more for Alyssa, but your parent sweet-talk is next level."

David chuckled and rolled the sleeves up to his elbow, as he added, "Hey Alyssa, you're a babe and that dress is doing all the right things for you?"

"Great. There's absolutely no way that could go wrong in front of her protective father."

He smiled, "I think I'm okay with that stuff. Next question."

"What should you do with your phone?"

"Leave it turned off in my coat pocket so her parents know I'm present and respectful."