Chapter Three

. . .

Staring up into the bright, harsh light I could feel heat against my skin, and sand between my fingertips. Waves meeting the shoreline, and the birds above sounded muted and distant. Tilting my head slightly, I saw a blurry shadow and when I looked back up, two small eyes peered over me.

A small, rounded face with flushed cheeks and dark hair began to move it's mouth but I couldn't make out the words. As I tried to lift my arms and neck, a splash of cold wetness fell onto my chin.

"Tucker, come here now!" a Woman's voice called out high-pitched and close.

The little blur moved suddenly and the light stung my eyes again. Resting on my elbows I saw a young woman, grabbing the hand of a small child. He was dressed in dungarees, with a peaked sun cap, clutching an ice pop, which was melting rapidly down the front of his clothing, and apparently on my chin.

The woman called out again. "Are you okay Miss?"

"Mummy, she was flying!" The little child squealed. "Like planes in the sky Mummy!"

Then, it dawned on me. I must have flown straight over the handlebars and into their path. Snippets of images danced in my mind - a loud sound, the resistance of the bike, my sweaty palms sliding off the breaks.

I sat up and looked towards the woman with corkscrew red curls and patterned sun visor.

"I think so" I coughed back, feeling the dryness in my throat rip though as I spoke. "Did I fall?"

Before she could answer, another dark shadow appeared but much closer than my first responder.

"Are you okay?" The stranger asked. "Can you move your legs and your arms?" It was a male voice, much deeper and with a soothing tone.

"Uh, yeah I think so." I muttered back.

"Let me help you up." he offered, gently taking my hands and lifting my body. The fall had made my legs feel light, and I wobbled until he steadied me.

As I blinked again, clearing away the dark dots to properly regain my vision, I finally saw, just who had come to my rescue.

Standing facing me was a tall, young guy, with narrow shoulders beneath a red plaid shirt and blonde hair that flicked out beside his ears. Dark brown eyes stared back at me and his initial serious expression had changed into a wide grin.

It took me by surprise and I spoke before I could think straight or remember my manners.

"Why are you smiling like that at me?" I stammered, dusting away the sand that covered me from head to toe.

"Because you did really, as that kid said, pretty much fly from your bike and I am just glad you don't seem to be too hurt." he pointed out, pushing back his messy hair.

I didn't want to tell him that actually my whole body felt bruised and that the palms of my hands were raw and ripped, because I didn't want to look like anymore of a clumsy, fool.

"I'm fine." I affirmed, straitening my back and picking out wisps of hair that stuck to my lips and forehead. "Just a little dazed."

He shyly smiled again. "Good, now let me grab your bike for you, and your stuff."

A light switched on in my idle, post-crash mind, and my eyes drifted over to where the bike laid and I gasped. Poppy's prized box, with all her delicate cards and gifts had spilled out of the basket, covering the entire pathway. They were scattered further behind the bicycle too, carried by the wind.

"Shit."

I must have repeated the word unaware couple of times, because when I raced over to pick up the remains, he walked over too and asked. "That serious is it?"