Chapter Twenty One

Breath in the future, breathe out the past

Savour this moment as long as it lasts,

If You Stayed Over - Bonobo ft. Fink

. . .

As Noah led me through the back gate, and into the Allen's yard I saw that it was lit up, brightly by bulbs like the ones I'd hung earlier for the party, up in the tree.

The table had been laid out with fresh flowers, and cushions had been piled up on the wide wooden seat right under the kitchen window.

"You'll need to wait here just one moment." Noah instructed, disappearing into the kitchen. Cupboards and draws slammed as he rummaged through them, while I stood and marvelled at how beautiful the porch looked.

It was Poppy who had insisted on me leaving the party early. Apparently Noah had asked her, earlier in the day if he could steal me away before the eleventh hour. Of course I hadn't minded, as we slipped through the front door, quick and impatient to leave the noise and crowd behind, so we could be alone.

Admiring how the table had been arranged, Noah stuck his head round the door frame and told me to close my eyes. I heard his footsteps get closer and closer until I was finally allowed to open them again.

"It's not much and I know you've already had one this evening but still." he said nervously, as the small round cake covered in deep red petals lit up before my eyes. Just like in Lily's picture, the candles formed a heart shaped halo round the flowers, coloured in my name.

"It's beautiful."

"Scarlett Begonias." Noah pointed out before shyly laughing. "Everyone helped out although I'm sure you can tell which ones are mine."

"They're all perfect. It's perfect."

"You want to try a slice?"

Reaching out to touch his face, I nodded and let my lips thank him, pressing them softly. Noah's hand held my back as it arched, my feet lifting off the ground.

"I thought we could sit out and watch the stars." he whispered, as I pushed back his golden hair and brushed the tip of my finger along the faint scar on his cheek.

"A lesson about the stars, is that another one of my presents?" I said back lightly, enjoying the moment of just being alone with him, feeling anything but lonely.

"Maybe."

Slipping my palms against his, I felt bold and brave. Rising up to meet the lobe of his ear, I breathed out, and whispered what I wanted.

Because for now, the stars could wait.

. . .

Noah had kissed me, all the way down the hallway, guiding me backwards with his lips until the wooden grain of his bedroom door could be felt against my back.

It was strange to see, in those moments Noah's usually neat room become chaotic, swamped by the urgency to pull off and discard the clothes that clung to our bodies because they were the only things left standing in our way.

The flannel shirts that he would normally fold and place over his chair were now carelessly thrown onto the floor and the dress that I had spent all evening trying to keep clean and unspoiled landed right beside it.

His hands were warm over my skin as he softly kissed the aching corners of my mouth. The palms of my hands felt cool on the rough whitewashed wall, as Noah's back pressed against it, my eyes gazing up and down at him, letting my fingertips lock into his messy hair. Whispering all the while, to never stop.