Chapter Fifteen

Careless in our summer clothes,

Splashing around in the muck and the mire.

Hang me up to dry - Cold War Kids.

. . . 

Thursday afternoon, late August

Riding to Noah's had taken all of ten minutes but by the time I reached the Allen's pretty white panelled house on the corner of 5th street I was well and truly a sweaty mess.

I'd tried to navigate my way through the shadiest sidewalks, keeping my back to the sun but it had made no difference. The heat was fierce and I could just about muster the effort to lift my legs off the pedals and slide myself off the saddle even though every inch of my strength felt like it had evaporated.

Common sense had prevailed though as I thanked myself for packing a spare set of clothes in my backpack, and for remembering to put on sun screen. My cheeks really couldn't take much more sunlight without blistering.

As I parked my bicycle up against the fence and flipped aside the latch on their back gate I heard Lily's screams and a loud hissing sound. Letting my shades steam up with the intense warmth my face was emitting I made my way down the small stone path as the screams getting louder with each step.

Lily was in her swimsuit, a bright pink rubber ring wrapped around her waist and she was running laps around the one thing I never thought I'd thank God for seeing:

A sprinkler.

Even though I'd been round before when Mrs Allen had quietly connected it to the hosepipe for the kids and Noah, I could never have appreciated it as much as I did in that moment, watching Lily, Jacob and Max the dog dart in and out of it's blissfully, erratic spray.

When she had jumped over the hissing spout a couple more times, Lily waved and with a shriek called out my name.

"Hey guys."

"Scarlett come play!" Lily beamed, wiping water away from her goggles and running over to grab my hand. "Get in!"

I didn't hesitate and so I ran to meet her, throwing down my backpack beside the sun loungers, ready to wash away the sweat and dirt I'd collected on my way over.

As I danced and skipped through the cooling shower, catching droplets in my mouth, I thanked God again for bringing me sweet relief from the horribly sticky and fatigued feeling that had clung to me all day.

Jump. Skip. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

With Max weaving his way through our dancing feet and with the sun finally setting beneath the yards fence, I felt a tug on my arm.

Shielding his eyes from Jacob who had a small water gun cradled in his hands, Noah playfully nudged his shoulders into mine. His usually messy hair was slicked back and he was shirtless. Khaki shorts stuck to his thighs and water poured down his forehead.

If there was any upside to the pounding heat wave it was that I got to marvel once more at just how wonderfully handsome he was, even with glowing rosy cheeks and grass stains all over his knees.

"Why are you still in that?" Noah asked me with a bewildered expression, poking at my t-shirt.

I frowned and whispered. "Because I'm not getting naked, that's why."